Thursday, January 08, 2009

Step 2: Hope

January 8, 2009

STEP TWO: HOPE

Come to believe that the power of God can restore you to complete spiritual health.

"... if we would turn to the Lord, there would be "no habit, no addicition, no rebellion, no transgression, no offense exempted from the promise of complete forgiveness"..."

So I'm thinking, why is He so willing to forgive? Immediately though I think back to a message I shared with my kids this past Monday evening. I told them that we love because He loved us first and we want to be like Him. How does this relate? I guess it's molding itself in my mind like this...
I can't understand fully His love because I'm still working toward that point. As I learn to forgive I see how He can forgive. I'm too weak to fully understand why He would be willing to forgive so for now I will continue to gain understanding. I do know that He is willing to forgive so rather than focusing what I do not understand I will start where I am.

Later in the reading it states... "we took this step in our minds and our hearts..."
I like this because I know that it takes my mind and my heart to make change. I've at times been only able to initiate action in one area and not fully take the step with my mind and heart. I can see that while it was effort and effort was good I was not fully committed thus the results were not full.

The reading also says "through "steadfastness in Christ," you are rescued from and addiction and enjoy a perfect brightness of hope." (2 Nephi 31:20)

I love the word hope. That is the focus of this message. Last year at this time I started to lose hope. Life was difficult and then it was impossible because all hope was lost. It was gone and I was gone. A month ago I listened as a man at church talked about the importance of hope. He was begging for hope to continue in his life. From what he said I could see he was struggling and really wanting to overcome the addictions in his life. I sat and listened and thought about the necessity of hope in the process of overcoming addiction. I am glad hope is step two because honestly I don't think you can make it down this road without hope. Hope is the yearning and believing there is something better and thus the pain is only temporary.

One last thought from the text that is occupying my mind is this:
"I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are available to all of us and that the Redeemer of Israel is eager to bestow such gifts upon us"
Tender Mercies (I think it should be capitalized, it should be a proper noun)
I have seen His tender mercies present in my life. Often it is through the actions of others charity. (my definition of charity has nothing to do with money or alms, it's about giving people the benefit of the doubt and accepting where someone is and letting them grow)
I must say though that I have seen His Tender Mercies also as I step back and just watch. He sends trees and sunshine, rain and wind. He sends me papers that fall out of my books and remind me of past experiences that bring me peace. I've heard songs at just the right time and I've been blessed with comfort when the darkness was unbearable. I know of His Tender Mercies and this brings me Hope.

One last scripture in the reading from Mark says:
"Straightway the father and the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord I believe; help thou mine unbelief" (Mark 9:24)
As soon as the father admitted his inadequacy of faith and gave Christ what faith he did have Christ began working miracles for him. I must be completely honest with God and give Him what I have and He will work miracles. I only need to give Him what I have and miracles will be wrought.

things to think about...

January 14, 2009

some more hope

I'm just thinking about hope some today. Last night was a little rough. We went to check out a school for the kids and instead of walking away triumphant and certain I only walked away with more questions and frustrations. I'm working on the answers and the questions to this one. I'm sure it will come. Check out that hope in action.

I think for this morning I'll share a story. It's true so I hate to call it a story, but, I also love the word story because it means something interesting is about to happen. So here goes.
Sunday morning arrived this last week with it's usual antics. One of my sons hates church, hates it, hates it, hates it. He is so angry to attend. I'd be happy to have him stay home, but, he is only 9 and we live 30 minutes from the church and church lasts for 3 hours and, I can continue to give you excuses....
This is tricky for me. I understand he does not want to attend. This leaves in my mind a couple questions?? Why does he not want to attend? Has something happened that makes him hate church? If I push him to attend will he one day walk away and hate everything that has to do with God? Should I require him to attend so that he can have the experiences? Again I can continue.....
The story continues... The hubby talked with him while I went downstairs to do the breakfast thing with the others. When I came back up I could see that communication barriers had been broken and new information was available. Why does little guy hate church? He's bored (totally valid, I was bored for many years too) he hates the crowds (the church is very small and has many people in attendance, I hate the confusion also) he just wants to be at home (sounds comfy) the latest addition though brings greater insight. We just moved. We use to be in Utah where there are people all around us that are Mormons. In his school there were children everywhere that either attended church or had lived in Utah long enough to know what Mormons are. Here is a little different. Sometimes we get asked questions. Little guy had a friend at school approach him and ask him what religion he is. He answered, Mormon. The child quickly let him know that Mormons have that bible and that he wants nothing to do with it and that no longer would he be speaking to little guy. Little guy was devastated. Why won't people talk to me?? We spent some time talking about how not everyone knows about the LDS religion. It's strange and different and often when we don't know we can become scared. This helped a little, but, he was still feeling beat up.

Fast forward to yesterday when I picked him up from school.
Little guy hops in the car and excitedly tells me, you know that kid that said he wouldn't talk to me anymore?? Remember, remember?? Of course, I remember. Well he came up to me and asked me some questions and is now talking to me. (did you notice my heart flutter?) I turned to him and said that's wonderful.

Why do I type this? I guess because it brought me so much hope. I am thankful for the blatant experiences of hope in my life.