Friday, February 12, 2010

FaithFul Friday

My favorite reading this week is a talk given by Sister Julie B. Beck. Amy sent me a link in my email and I've spent lots of brain hours thinking about what I read.
The name of the talk is Teaching the Doctrine of the Family.
First off I must tell you how much I love Sister Beck. For me she's an inspiration. I would love to meet her and then spend a day following her around.
What I gleaned from this talk is how absolutely important it is for me to be teaching my children about how absolutely important families are. My sons need to know creating families is central to eternity and everything they do here on earth must be linked to family. As I step back and think about what my sons need to know I need to make sure that they are actually thinking to themselves, "Learning this/doing this will help me someday be a better father."
I need to read the article again and gather more.

I have been doing some scripture reading also. Not as much as I want. I know everyone says this but they say it because it's true. Life feels better when I'm reading my scriptures. I can actually get through the tough moments with much more grace and much less pain. I really love my scriptures and I really need to devote more time to filling my soul with the Spirit that comes when I am diving into scripture study.

In Jacob 1:5 I found the word anxiety very interesting. The word has come to be a very negative word for me. When I happened upon it in a more positive context I had to consult Webster. The verse reads...
For because of faith and great anxiety, it truly had been made manifest unto us concerning our people, what things should happen unto them.
Another definition for anxiety is earnestly wishing. Kind of sheds a new light on some of my thinking.

Jacob 2:2 is Jacob speaking to the people and in it he says, "to magnify my office with soberness, and that I might rid my garments of your sins..." This statement got me thinking, what is my responsibility/office? I could only come to the conclusion that It is my responsibility to preach the gospel. Now before you get all excited I'm not praying for a missionary opportunity. I have no doubt the Lord will send me a missionary opportunity if I pray for one and I'm scared to death to have a missionary opportunity. I'm pretty sure I could convince in one fell swoop any investigator to stay far away. I have this way with messing stuff up. However, knowing the above I can now feel even more guilty about not praying for a missionary experience.

Early in the week I read 2Ne 32:5. This scripture should give me all the strength I need to pray for a missionary experience. The final words are, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do. This only adds to the above paragraph. For missionary work I need to have the Holy Ghost with me. No subliminal message here.

Why is it that so often when I read the scriptures I think about missionary work? Don't answer that I actually know the answer I'm just shoving it away.

2 Nephi 28:20-22 gives insight as to Satan and his work. The final verse uses the word flattereth. This word scares me and is why I rarely believe anything anyone says to me. I don't want to get caught in being flattered and have my pride take over and let my guard down. In 2 Nephi 24:12 it screams at me that pride caused Satan to fall.

Every time I read the words, "line up line, precept upon precept" I feel happy. It's gives me comfort knowing that what is expected of me is just one step at a time.

2 Nephi 26:31 But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish. What I do must be done for Zion so that the strength of the Lord will be with me. I will accomplish greater when He is with me. If I am laborer for personal gain I will fail.

I love the phrase, reconciled to God. It is about me bringing my thoughts/actions into agreement with Him and what He would have me do/be. Um, maybe I need to reconcile my thoughts of missionary work to God?

2 Nephi 9:52 says, Let your hearts rejoice. Four words that calm my soul. I think I'll end with that this week. Even with all the sadness and wickedness and horrible yuck in this world Heavenly Father created man that they might have joy. It is okay for my heart to rejoice.

Let your hearts rejoice.