Tuesday, May 04, 2010

time for me

Last night as I tucked Isaak in bed I took an extra minute or two or ten and laid down next to him. I ran my fingers through his hair and the thought entered my mind that one of the greatest gifts I have ever given my children was when I took time out for me. It was the time I spent in therapy healing and fixing. When I was in the process I felt bad each time I dropped them off at someone's home while I drove across town and chatted it up with the doc. I felt bad when the days were tough as I tried to get a handle on everything that surged through my soul.

I remember the doc telling me that fixing myself would be some of the best parenting I ever did. He was right.

It's never too late. Just this evening I erased off our quote board a quote that I came upon from Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
"Never give up on anybody. And that includes never giving up on yourself."

Interesting what those words have taught me this week.