Saturday, November 27, 2010

some things will never change

Sometimes God answers prayers never prayed.

Yesterday, Nic, Issak, Matthias and I went to Discovery World in Milwaukee. This place is fantastic. I'm so glad that we purchased a year membership. I've gotten ahead of myself though. Let's start at the beginning... our arrival where the unprayed prayer gets started.

We pulled into the parking garage after a very uneventful drive. I carefully clipped my keys onto my purse and threw my purse over my shoulder. I reached across the passenger seat and locked the front and back door. Upon exiting the driver side I locked my door and then opened the back door to find Matthias sound asleep. I carefully locked his door and then turned to lift him out of his carseat. The jostling woke him but he snuggled back into my shoulder. At this point I took a quick assessment of what items I really wanted to juggle while we were enjoying our visit. I realized we didn't need our coats and the only thing I needed from my purse was my ID and method of payment. I slipped those in my pocket and tossed all other items into the car. I slammed the door shut and immediately realized my mistake.

Did you catch it?? That's right I don't have keys to get back into the car I just carefully locked.

"Oh, no!"
"What's wrong mom?"
"I just locked the keys in the car."
"What are we going to do?"
"Have fun at the museum and then figure it out."

Nic had been waiting for a few weeks to show me Discovery World. I was desperate to not ruin the moment so I tried to stay cool and immediately started praying in hopes God would give me an answer.

We started through the museum and I really didn't think about it much. As time went on I realized that the problem wouldn't just disappear so I started texting a few people in hopes they'd have a magic answer. Great ideas led me to chatting with the front desk.

They were disheartened to inform me that because of the holiday none of their facilities people were at work and thus they had no one that could help me.

I just kept having this thought to keep asking people. I asked people working the different exhibits and that left me empty handed.

I decided to go with the kids to the parking garage and see if one of the doors locks had somehow slipped unlocked and we'd be able to get back in. No luck but there was a security guard there so I asked if he could help. He was sorry to tell me he didn't have the tools but would be happy to contact a locksmith for me. I wasn't ready to quit asking people yet so I went to the guy manning the pay booth. He was all game for finding me a hanger. He asked me if I knew how to do it and I let him know I had no idea but I was willing to try anything before calling a locksmith or my husband who was an hour away.

Upon finding a hanger and untwisting it for me the security guard showed up and asked me if I knew how to use it. I again replied I had no idea.  He took the the hanger from the pay booth guy and asked me to show me where my car was. He wanted so much to help me. The kids and I led him to our little rice burner. All this time I had been praying that the Lord would show me the way to unlock the door, I have no doubt he knows how to break into a car.

Security guard fiddled around for awhile and then John came on the scene. John, I was certain, was an answer to my prayers. Security guard informed me that John was definitely capable of getting us into our vehicle. If anyone can do it... he can. I turned to security guard and thanked him. He let me know that John was an answer to my prayers. Literally, he said to me, "He's an answer to your prayers." I then asked him how he knew I had been praying. He said he had been praying for me.

John had all manner of MacGyver materials in his vehicle. He brought out a flashlight with enough power to run a small country. At different times he went back to his vehicle and for different attempts brought forth duct tape, LARGE slot head screwdriver, two cork shaped thick foam like things, and a piece of thin wood that was longer than I.

The kids and I stayed out of his way as much as a mom with a screaming baby and two very interested children can. At one point I corralled the kids and asked them to help me pray that we get into our vehicle. The prayer included the importance of us having faith and that we knew Heavenly Father could help John and we'd be able to get into our vehicle if it were His will.

I watched with great intent the concoctions that John invented to rescue us from my stupidity.

After 30 minutes or so I felt that John had wasted enough of his time and kindly thanked him. I have no doubt that he would eventually figure it out but I really didn't want to keep him any longer from where he needed to be. He was reluctant to quit but I let him know I'd call a locksmith or my husband and I'd get into my vehicle. I thanked him as much as you can with words then walked away with the kids back into the building so I could get reception for my phone and see what Kjel wanted me to do.

Have I ever mentioned that I've locked my keys in the car?? I do this often enough that the van has a hide-a-key on it. Sadly, I had Kjel's car which doesn't usually need a hide-a-key but its standard driver is much more competent. I don't really intend to be difficult. I know how hair brained I am, that's why I was so careful to clip my keys to my purse. I absolutely did not want to be stranded in Milwaukee. The thing is even when I'm ever so careful I still lock myself out.

I called Kjel who hid his frustration very well and let me know he was willing to come rescue me. How nice of him to come once again and help the fool who doesn't learn from her mistakes.

I regained my composure and wiped my tears of exhaustion from my face and the kids and I enjoyed the museum while my knight in shining armor came to our rescue.

On the way home I started thinking about the moments that had passed. I thought about my prayers and about how certain I was we would find someone at the museum who could get us into the car. I thought about how often I find myself in the same situation wishing I had just been a little more careful and then humbling begging someone to rescue me. I thought about how my mistake affected so many around me. The kind people who gave of their time to help me even though in the end it was futile.

I've had some pride issues lately and this moment brought me to thinking about my frustrations with people who keep making the same mistakes and don't seem to get it!! Hmmm, sound familiar. When I got to thinking about this I instantly knew that I had been blessed with an answer to an unprayed prayer. I hadn't asked the Lord to humble me and help me see a new light but through this moment I was humbled and could see how sometimes we continue to make the same mistake over and over. Sometimes we do dumb things even when we try really hard not to.

I'm filled with gratitude for this moment in my life that knocked me off at the knee caps and humbled my proud heart.