So yesterday I was doing some driving around town and what to my wondering eye did appear but a "fix engine soon" sign. Not that I was worried. I've seen all manner of blinking lights in my 1998 Dodge minivan. I was certain that as I drove it the mechanism would shake loose and everything would be fine. I even tried the old, shut the van off and restart it. I've had many a problem solved by this procedure. Only, this time, no luck!
I pulled out the big guns and headed to Auto Zone to have them do a diagnostic. I've noticed that when you take a vehicle in to be looked at it will magically heal itself and they can't find what's wrong. No luck. Something about a solenoid C and transmission malfunction. Maybe, that's why I couldn't drive above 35 mph? As I left I thought about my wise old husband and his suggestion to hang on to our tax return just in case. I was certain I could keep my van up and running for one more year. Just one more year. I guess I still can as long as I stay off the highway and any roads above 35. So far, that's working fine. I could even get rid of the light problem. Duct Tape!
After weighing all the options, including repairing the problem (one of MANY) we've decided to purchase a new, to us, van. Kind of fun. Who doesn't want a car payment?
I think Clayton summed it up perfectly. Yesterday, when I picked them up from school and told them we'd be going home a different direction, as to prevent having to go too fast, I also explained to them that we'd be purchasing a new vehicle. Clayton quietly said, "There's a lot of memories in this van." I agree with him. I'm actually sad to see it go. There are many memories we've made in our van. We've been lucky that it's held up for so long.
Here's to a vehicle that served us well and to finding a new one that can step up to the job of taxiing 5 boys.
We'll miss you Fourfer.