Wednesday, August 24, 2011

reading and thinking

I'm half way into The Help, I find it difficult to put the book down. I'm trying to decide if I should shower today or just use the time to read. I'm really enjoying this book. You're probably wondering why I'm wasting my time blogging but I just had to share what else I'm thinking about.

Yesterday, I got to mow our lawn. I love mowing the lawn. I've considered offering my services to the neighbors but I don't know when I'd find time to get it done. I just love being outside and working. So, anyhow, yesterday I was in the back yard and ran the mower over a walnut. Instantly I was taken back to my childhood.

My Grandpa Darrel and Grandma Josephene lived on a large lot with walnut trees and a raspberry garden. I'm sure there must have been other things planted in their yard but the only thing I remember was sneaking raspberries and cracking walnuts. I also remember walking along the railroad ties in their yard. I loved the time I spent in their yard. I remember the day my cousin Teara started at the far end of the yard and then tossed flips all the way to the front door. I was amazed. I remember thinking I could live in their front yard forever. I'd shelter myself under their porch and live on walnuts (even though I was allergic) and raspberries. I'm certain Grandma picked a lot less raspberries whenever I'd been to visit. She must have known that her little ones were grazing on her hard work. It's kind of her to have let me enjoy myself and fill up on her berries. I played on the railroad ties until I was covered in grease. I loved balancing on them and walking across as though I was a famous gymnast. I'd think about Teara and her flips and just knew someday I would flip across this magic yard. I never learned how to do flips but I still eat raspberries with glee and think back to those perfect childhood moments. And now, I will enjoy my own backyard more because I've got walnuts to crack.