I'm always clipping or printing poems/thoughts that speak to me. Here are three that I've been keeping in my mind lately. Thought I'd post them so I don't forget what I'm thinking about.
Myself by Edgar Guest
I have to live with myself, and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself,
And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of man I really am;
I don't want to dress myself up in sham.
I want to go out with my head erect,
I want to deserve all men's respect;
But here in this struggle for fame and pelf,
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to think as I come and go
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.
I never can hide myself from me,
I see what others may never see,
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself- and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free.
Oh cleaning and scrubbing
Will wait till tomorrow,
but children grow up,
As I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs.
dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby,
Babies don’t keep.
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape…
But a woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape.
A strong woman isn’t afraid of anything…
But a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear.
A strong woman won’t let anyone get the best of her…
But a woman of strength gives the best of herself to everyone.
A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face…
But a woman of strength wears grace.
A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey…
But a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong.