When I was a small child my Grandmother would set me on her knees and bounce me. As she did this she would sing,
"Ladies go pace, pace, pace.
Gentleman go trot, trot, trot.
The old man behind comes drinking his Sprite, gallop to gallop to gallop."
Yup, drinking his Sprite. The original lyrics are drinking his wine. It makes a nice rhyme and it makes sense as to why the old man was galloping.
BUT... my Grandmother was very black and white and she would never suggest that old men drink wine. Thus Sprite was her replacement.
As a child I couldn't care less what words she sang, as long as she bounced me on her knees.
As I grew I watched her do this with many of her grandchildren.
For years I had no idea that she'd changed the words. When I had my first kiddo I set him on my knees and started singing. When I got to the old man and his Sprite addiction, Kjel let me know that my lyrics were off and completely ridiculous. I filed his input and have continued singing it Grandma's way.
Just this evening I set Anna on my knees and sang to her. As I finished, Nic picked her up and sang her the song and gently bounced her on his knees. I watched him and listened and when he got to the old man I smiled as I listened to him sing about Sprite. My mind was filled with joy as I thought of my dear Grandmother. I'm glad I stuck to her lyrics so that my kids would pick up such a silly song and I'd get this moment of joy and memories.