Tuesday, June 03, 2014

consign to oblivion

There will be moments of motherhood/life that I will consign to oblivion. I'm sure each of my dear children have moments dealing with me that they wish they could consign. Sweeties, worry not we will pay for counseling so you can figure it all out. Childhood is tough stuff!

Today, though, I want to write about a few moments I know I'll forget but want to remember.

Like a few nights ago when Matthias was prepping to sleep on the floor near my bed and we had turned out the lights so we could settle for the night. Matthias had my phone and he had turned on the flashlight app. I rolled over to find him making shadow puppets all over the walls. My heart leapt with ulitmate joy. I had to sneak in a few of my own odd hand puppets and play with him, even momentarily.

Just a moment ago Matthias and I were playing "air hockey." We don't have an air hockey table but on Saturday we picked up from a garage sale a train table. Matthias has been loving his train table. Sunday afternoon one of my genius boys designed a way to play mock air hockey on the table. There have been a few tournaments and the noise and emotion gets rather intense but I love the creativity so I try to ignore the fighting. Anyhow, Matthias and I were having a match and I sent the puck his direction and smashed his fingers. He told me to go to my room. I couldn't help but ask him if he wanted to me to leave right then. I watched his little mind working out the details of me in time out and as soon as he realized that meant game over he told me, "No, not yet but say you're sorry, that wasn't nice." I apologized again and we went on with the match.

I watched Nic play baseball last night. He jumped onto homeplate as he scored a run. Kjel says he has pictures so I'll post soon but for now, just thinking about his happiness. Nic also mowed the lawn today. He was rather tentative and nervous. We've got a decent sized yard and it takes some toughness, physical and mental. I loved watching him in all his pride when he conquered the job!

Such a joy these little moments bring to my life. I've said it before but I can't help but wonder why I get to be so spoiled? These kids/teens bring such awesome to my life.