Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sleep (a necessary evil)

I was certain that when my children were all potty trained and sleeping through the night nothing would prevent me from the bliss of snuggling into my sheets, pulling the covers up to my neck and placing my head on my pillow for a full nights rest. It seems that sleep isn't meant to be easy. Well at least it's not easy for me to come by unless I take meds (I will tonight) prescribed by the doc. What do I do when I see most hours pass me? It depends on the hour of night and the time spent up and honestly it depends on what is happening in my head. Insomnia is something that MANY people in my family enjoy. I say enjoy because often times there is much that can be accomplished in those hours when no one is awake to distract you. Last night however instead of cleaning or reading or getting work done I just stared at the clock. I watch in amazement as the time slowly ticked. I watch the hours change and contemplated the silence. I was in and out of sleep so don't feel bad, it's not like I didn't get some. I just saw some hours too. Strange that the usual thoughts that float through my mind were not present. In fact I kept trying to come up with something to think about. I was sure if I though long and hard I'd certainly come up with a worry worth consternating over. Alas, I just sat. It would have been peaceful if I knew I'd get some sleep today. How absurd all that peaceful time wasted. I should vow to make good use of time even if it's time that should be used for sleep. Maybe one day I'll step up to that plate but for now most sleepless nights you'll find me in bed staring at the minutes and watching them pass.