Monday, September 15, 2008

A day of wRESTling...

I don't know how others choose to keep their sabbath day holy? I would love suggestions on how to best utilize this day of rest. Our family of boys seem to at least once during the day (often times throughout the entire day) cross the line on what I would consider proper behavior. I am not making excuses because I've heard that other families have conquered this day and given it the adequate attention it is deserving of. I'll let you know that we haven't really tried very hard to implement processes that will make better use of our time. We just kind of try to survive. You can certainly leave me comments sharing your best case scenarios and reprimand me for my failure but honestly the guilt has already seeded and additional will not be necessary.
On to the good stuff. The boys love to wrestle. I keep myself away from this practice because I learned in my youth that I can't win. Every time I helped my brother practice his wrestling techniques it ended in uncomfortable positions with me staring at a body part that I had no idea could get so near my face. In my youth I was naive enough to believe that one time I would be able to take him down and hold his shoulders to the mat. It never happened. Because of this I try to step out when the boys get started in their game of trying to take down dad. I must add in, that as of right now I can take each of my boys down, I can even take all four down at once. I pride myself on this. However Wyatt was only 16 when he started taking me down so I realize that my days of being stronger than they are numbered and I must slowly remove myself from the situation.
Yesterday on our day of rest the competition began early. It's always funny to watch. It always ends with someone hurt, if not physically scarred then their tender heart devastated. The game can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. The best part is when one of the boys pipes in and says, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye... then it's a party." I should seriously require permission slips for those participating. There is one rule and that is NO punching or kicking. This rule gets broken when people's airway is cut off but generally it is adhered too.
I've been told this is a good activity for boys. I don't really get a say simply because I'm out voted and much weaker.
Here are some pictures of my guys keeping the sabbath day holy by using it as a day for wRESTling.