I wasn't going to post this now but I can't let another day pass without sharing, with anyone crazy enough to read my ramblings, the exciting day I had on Wednesday. The night previous I had decided to go with my cousin Stacie to the Monet to Picasso exhibit. I woke up early on Wednesday quickly ran through my morning details and then dropped my lone child off at one of my dearest friends!
The drive up was wonderful. I listened to MY music and I thought MY thoughts and I answered the questions in MY head. After all there were none coming from the back seat. I arrived at Stacie's and we walked to the UMFA. I haven't walked around on campus for so many years. It was a wonderful reminder of the times when I was at the U. I loved school. I had, however, forgotten how quick the altitude changes (lots of uphill) on campus and my body was tired from the prior day when I had decided I should go running again (it has been a 7 month hiatus). Let's just say sometimes it's good to take a break but it still really hurts to go back.
The exhibit was truly amazing. I have never taken the opportunity to visit an exhibit of such caliber. I was actually able to see Picasso and Van Gogh and Rodin and Monet and many others. The experience was priceless. As I walked away I was so grateful that Adi had taken Isaak, otherwise I would not have been able to give it the attention I did. Over 3 hours of art and commentary. I was truly lifted. I will have to blog another time about the great pieces that I loved so much and the interesting facts that I learned. Of course you know I won't remember the details just the pictures and the feelings and the emotion.
After the exhibit we went to this amazing Vietnamese restaurant. I ordered this vegetarian noodle dish with tofu. I've never tasted such delicious tofu. I truly must learn how to prepare the stuff. Mine always tastes like you think tofu should taste... nasty!! That dish alone would add Indochine on 13th East in Salt Lake on my top list of restaurants but I must tell you that the appetizer we had was beyond anything the flavor buds on my tongue had ever tasted. It was won tons filled with cream cheese that we dipped in sweet and sour sauce. We had an order before our meal and an order for dessert. Thanks, Stacie, for a truly wonderful day with lots of great conversation and an opportunity for me to feel intelligent!!
I left Stacie's and made my way to pick up my children from school. I was basking in the bliss of the day and the great feelings I had experienced throughout. I pulled up to carpool and was greeted by a member of the staff. She calmly let me know that Nic had been hurt during the day. I am such a cock eyed optimist that I actually thought okay, I'll just get him picked up and we'll be fine, no worries. It seems that school had tried to contact me when Nic had fallen and was bleeding everywhere and needed stitches. He had tripped as he was getting up from the carpet and walking to his desk. His head landed on a chair. Can you remember what I was doing today??? The first thought that entered my head was oh no, I am a terrible mother, I didn't even feel worried, I didn't have that feeling good moms get that something is not right and I need to be somewhere else. Nope I had just sat back and enjoyed my day of being an adult. This is where it gets good. Immediately another thought crossed my mind and erased the initial guilt trip I was riding. As this good staff member explained to me the process they went through to get Nic help I realized there was no need for me to be there. The world doesn't revolve around me and there are other people capable of taking care of my dear children. They had tried my home number several times without any luck. I am good friends with this staff member and she knows who my good friends are so she immediately went down the list. Figuring I would be with Adi they tried her first. They were able to reach Adi and she jumped on it. The school asked if they should try grandma or dad but Adi said don't worry I'm coming. On her way to pick up my son she dropped her kids off and my kid off at different places to be taken care of. She used her cell phone to contact our doctors so they would be ready to help Nic as soon as she arrived. The details of the visit are hilarious since she didn't want to lie and say she was his mom and since she also knew that if they found out she wasn't mom they wouldn't treat him. It went something like this...
Receptionist:Is the insurance on file the most recent?
Adi: it should be.
Receptionist: Does he have any allergies?
Adi: Nic, do you have any allergies?
Nic: No.
Receptionist: Any major surgeries?
Adi: Not that I can think of.
Doctor: (after having finished the stitches) Now mom...
Adi: Oh, I'm not his mom.
Doctor: (surprised) um, his mom needs to make an appointment to have the stitches removed on Monday.
Adi: Sounds good.
Adi had it all under control. She had tried to reach me but it just wasn't meant to be.
Here I am at carpool thinking wow, that's kind of a crazy day?? I pick up my two kids and Adi's Julia and as I pull out of the line my smile gets bigger and bigger as I think, how lucky am I to hang out with a good friend all day, have a good friend take care of Isaak, have another good friend take a turn watching Isaak while my another good friend lovingly cares for Nic and also to have a school that gave my child such great care and attention when his mother couldn't be found.
The best part for Nic is he DID get stitches. He got out of school early, he got to prove his bravery to many of the students at school and he gets out of school for a little while on Monday to have the sutures removed. Best of all he's famous and I know it because as I pulled away from carpool I heard this 1st grade student turn to another one and say, "Dude, do you know what happened to Nic today?"
Way to get famous Nic in one short trip!!
At the end of it one of my friends mentioned that if I'd had a cell phone on me it would have made the day easier. She wasn't being rude just making a suggestion for my future benefit. All I could think was I don't need one of those, that certainly would have messed up the entire day. Nic quickly let me know that he didn't need me either. Adi was great!!