Monday, September 22, 2008
Pancake Fritters (a secret family recipe)
I had the opportunity to backpack with my father and brother. It's been a few years but I am still enamored with the beauty of the mountains and waterfalls and silence. So many things I could share about the journey but this evening I share Pancake Fritters. Dinner tonight is pancakes. I did make Anthony happy with the meal so I figure if he was happy and I was then all is well. I must admit that my children and husband did not get pancake fritters. Pancake Fritters is a special meal for backpacking and to be brought into the loop you must prove your worthiness. This traditional dish is about a special ingredient and a time tested way of cooking the cakes to perfection. I treated myself to some fritters this evening. I even ate one for dad! It rushed all the memories back into my mind and I can see me beating Wyatt to the top (no, he will not live this down) while carrying some of Dad's stuff on my back. I remember the beauty that surrounded us and the peace of the mountain. Hurray for pancake fritters, I think I'll go eat another one!