Thursday, November 27, 2008

5 boys and blessings

This morning finds me, as it does many of you, thinking for what am I thankful? Of course, this list could take up pages and pages. Last Christmas I sat down and wrote 100 things that bless my life. It was truly amazing all that I have for which to show gratitude. This morning, however, I have two things that are at the forefront of my mind; the five boys that fight for my attention and the experience I read, this morning, in the Guideposts magazine that my Grandfather Cecil gives to my family each year.

First the five boys that fight for my attention. Growing up I always wanted to be that girl that all the guys liked. I was boy crazy before Kindergarten. I didn't end up being the one that stopped traffic or had a date on Friday night. This morning 3 boys fought over me as I was waking from sleep. Kjel, Nic and Isaak all wanted my attention, snuggles and love. Each night as my 5 boys go to bed they beg me to "lay by" them. The boys fight over who gets to sit by me at dinner, who gets to ride next to me in the car and who gets to talk to me first. I am so blessed to have so many fighting for my attention. I love my boys.

Secondly, I was reading from Guideposts Magazine this morning while I was eating breakfast and I came across this story:

"I shushed the kids. Driving in this snow was nerve-racking enough. I was emotionally drained that Christmas. It was the first since Jim, my husband, passed away, and I was wondering how I could take care of our kids. Even this simple trip to the grocery store meant that the three of them -- 17 year old CJ, 11 year old Sandie and three-year-old Ronnie -- had to come with me. Now, returning home, I couldn't even enjoy the beauty of our snow-covered neighborhood. It just meant shoveling the driveway, salting the front steps, things Jim used to do. Now who would watch out for us?
Better back into the driveway, I thought as I pulled up to the house. I t would be easier to unload the groceries and less difficult getting out in the morning. I backed in and put the car in park. "Okay, you kids get out of the cold and go inside. I'll bring in the groceries," I said. I watched till the kids were inside and opened the door and took a step out. I nearly fell on the icy driveway. That's all I need. Better back up a little closer to the house, I thought. The less distance I had to carry the groceries, the better. I got back in, put the car in reverse and pressed down on the gas pedal. The car didn't budge. The wheels just spun. I shifted gears, tried to pull the car forward then back, rocking it like I'd seen Jim do so many times. Still stuck. Great. Did my car have to give me problems too? Weren't things difficult enough? Exasperated, I got out.
That's when Sandie stood up from directly behind the car. "Hi, Mom! I'm helping you get unstuck!" she exclaimed innocently. "I've been pushing."
"Never do that, Sandie!" I scolded, heart racing. Dear Lord what if.... I made sure she was safely inside the house before giving it one more try. Again I put the car in reverse. This time, without hesitation, it backed up.
Who would watch out for us? I knew the answer. ---Linda Roth

I am thankful for the Lord. I am thankful that he helps people. Watching people suffer is something I cannot handle. I don't watch the news because it keeps me from sleeping at night. I pray for children in Africa and next door. I worry about the challenges that others are experiencing. Reading this experience brought me such great comfort to know that the Lord is there. He is present in every humans life and while there is still suffering there are also blessings.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy those that are with you and think of those who are not. We love you!!