Day One – This is the morning we left Utah.
Sunday, November 2, 2008.
We seemed to be excited by the drive and eager for the experience. I hugged and kissed my parents good bye. As if one last hug would make all the difference. A quick picture and we’re off. An important stop at a gas station so that I can fill up on one last hug from my dear cousin. I wrap my arms around her and try to burn the moment into my memory. Another picture in hopes that on the rough days I can look at the many pictures I have taken of my strengths and find joy. The drive is smooth. I am situated in the back seat with Nic and Isaak. Kjel and Clayton are navigating up front and Anthony is in the center seat prepping for the long drive. Hours and hours on the road do only one thing for me. They make me tired. I just fall asleep. I had made all kinds of plans for this trip of things I would accomplish, none of which were taken care of. I snuggled up to a pillow and slept most of the way. Our first stop is North Platte, NE. If you’ve never heard of this place you’re in the same position as I. The only thing I knew is that it was the stop on the way, the first destination point, the ability to get out and go to sleep (as if I needed more). We rested that night with Clayton and Nic sharing a bed, Anthony on the floor and Kjel and I blessed by Isaaks in and out of our bed most of the night. Even with the antics of the evening we were able to get rest and start off the next morning for our final destination.
Day Two – Are we there yet?
Monday, November 3, 2008
The morning started as usual except this is not a normal day. Thanks to Anthony we remembered that it’s Isaaks birthday, Happy Birthday buddy! He spent much of the day reminding us that he is now a whole hand old. The kids settled in again, with me and Clayton and Nic in the back, Isaak (the birthday boy) in the middle and Anthony and Kjel navigating. After spending some time between the two boys I worked out some twisted tale about how it would make sense for Nic and I to switch places, thus allowing him the space he needed. Let’s just say it was me that needed the space. I really needed to sit somewhere I could create a bubble so that I could be left alone. I know it seems like the kids should have been drawing lines but I was the first one to complain about hands crossing the line. I think I was feeling a little cooped up?? The drive went great as long as the delicate balance of noise and patience was kept. Kjel was initiated back into our confusion in the simplest way possible, FIRE!! The kids were quick to remind him of what life is like with us. I lovingly reminded him that he had missed us. He accepted that with a roll of the eyes and a nod of disgust. Good to be back together. Interestingly enough this was one long drive. The bliss and excitement of day one had dissipated and I had lost that loving feeling. I kept asking Kjel, how much longer?? He knew the route and was able to tell me 7 hours or 4 hours or whatever allotted time he figured we had left. I was certain he must be wrong and that we’d be there much sooner. For each answer he gave me I wrongly subtracted and was certain we’d be there sooner. I think the trip would’ve gone better without my presence. The drive through Chicago brought tears to me as I realized that we were moving. How did this all happen? How did we get so far away? Kjel had warned me it would set in at some point. Hooray for Chicago for trapping my emotions and sucking the life out of me. We arrived that evening in small town, WI as dark had settled. Our first stop… our house. (That’s a lie, we actually stopped to use the restrooms at a gas station but if I’d have said our first stop was a gas station then I would have messed up the mood) The house is beautiful. Kjel was so excited to show me the place. We walked around the house and tried to peek in windows. I took pictures of the kids in front of the garage. We then found a place to stay the night. I suggested our back yard but seeing as though the tent was packed in a trailer somewhere en route I was nixed on that idea.
Day Three – Sign on the dotted line
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Early to wake this day for there is much to be done. We meet some people at the house to do a final walk through. I get to see inside my house. It’s strange because outside looks like home but inside seems to be missing something. It’s just not home yet. We’re handed the keys and plan to meet with the title company to sign our life away. We spend some time just sitting in our home. We have a beautiful HUGE tree in our backyard. It’s covered in yellow leaves and the kids eagerly climb its branches. I keep walking around expecting something to make it feel like home. I give up and realize that it will take time. A visit to the school leaves me excited about the school. This is momentary because as the week goes on and I discover more I truly wonder if the kids will get any where near what they had at our charter school. Off to the title company, sign here, sign here, sign here and initial here, don’t forget to date. I think somewhere in the papers I promised my first born if we go into default. Scary! The older boys and I stop off at the school on the way home to meet with the principal; Mr. Pitts, hopefully his name is not foreshadowing. After our visit and the kid’s joy in realizing they get to wear normal clothes instead of uniforms, we attempt to walk home from school. The kids will tell you I was lost. They would be wrong by their assumptions. I was not lost I was merely exploring. I called their father several times to share in what I had found. He then tracked our location and helped us to find other routes that would lead us to a more accurate final destination. It was a beautiful day and the walk outside felt healing. We spent the evening sleeping in our home, on the floor. Kjel didn’t want to spend another night in a hotel. I guess he’s sick of hotels??
Day Four— Big Van, Big Help
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
I start the morning by texting Cha Cha. I want to know who the Pres. is and it’s too early to call anyone. It surprised me when I found out Obama had been voted in. I guess I was certain the world would end if he made it into office. Yet, there I was breathing, living. A quick check for other signs of life and I realized that not only had my family pulled through but there were others still alive. That’s a good sign for now. Later we may wish we were dead. I was glad to find out that there were people in California that had the sense to pass proposition 8! I know that here in Wisconsin there was some vote about smoking but I hadn’t studied up on the issues so I was at a loss.
Our things arrive at 10AM and we begin to unpack. I pulled the pregnancy card on this one and tried to get out of as much work as possible. Much of the trip I’ve been nauseas. I don’t usually get sick with my pregnancies so I’m certain I must be having a girl. Many of you already know that with each pregnancy I’ve been certain I was having a girl. I have this natural mothering response that helps me to determine with great accuracy the sex of each child long before the inconsistent technology of Ultrasound.
So I played pregnancy card and stuck to the little things and short trips. Sadly this wore off and by the end of it I found myself making trips that left me short of breath. Clayton and Anthony were super hero’s though. They spent several hours unloading the van. I was so pleased and thankful for their willingness to step up and help with the job. I found myself bored by all of the back and forth and decided I would be adventurous and find my way to the grocery store. We had made a trip to Woodman’s the first night we were in town and I was certain I could retrace the steps and come back with food and Febreeze (our stuff stunk, it may have been all the boy smell in one location trapped, I’m not sure but I knew I didn’t want it in my house. Everything received a light dusting of smell be gone before it entered the home). I successfully made a trip to the grocery store and back home without the slightest hesitation our feeling of confusion. Score one for me. We had sandwiches and chips for lunch and got back to work. We worked until dark and then we decided the evening was done and Kjel and I carried our mattress upstairs, and collapsed.
Day Five – Who owns all this stuff?
Thursday, November 6, 2008
The Elder missionaries arrive to help us with our big stuff. I let them know that we are already converted and that they didn’t have to stay. They didn’t get the joke. I guess in places other than Utah the missionaries also serve fully active members. I’ve never heard of such a thing. It was truly a blessing though. The four of them (I can’t remember their names, Elder…. but one was from Peru, one from San Diego, one from Alberta and one from Hurricane, UTAH) They handled our things as if they’d done this many times before and had our piano and other large items moved in with no trouble at all. They arranged boxes throughout the house and really made my job easier as I started to unload. As they left they asked if there was anything else they could do to help. I was certain they’d love to do splits with the boys. (another joke they didn’t get. It seems I’m not that funny) I promised them bread because they moved all my wheat downstairs. After the Elders left Kjel went into work so that he could handle some things on line. We don’t have internet yet. Aaaggh, it seems I’m addicted. While he was gone, I unpacked, slept, moved things around, slept and slept. It seems Isaak got a hold of my phone. Thank you to those that entertained him while I “worked” so hard!! I did manage to complete enough work that I was able to convince Kjel I’m super awesome at moving. Sleep couldn’t come soon enough. Obviously I didn’t get enough.
Day Six – Super Me, drives to Chicago
Friday, November 7, 2008
I can barely pull my head off my pillow. I’m not really as tired as I seem I’m just sleeping away the yucks. My chemicals are out of whack and with the move, my grandma’s passing, the baby growing and me adjusting to life I’m finding moments during the day when it’s just so hard. I only mention this because I want to speak truth on these pages and if I acted as if all was bliss I’d only be portraying the truth of my fake reality. This morning I was thinking how lucky everyone in Utah is. You guys have each other. I have none of you!! I promise I’m not murmuring. I’m glad I’m here because this is where the Lord wants me. I’m just working to find the strength today to be strong. It’s all good. I’ve done this before so I popped the pills and knelt to pray and begged the Lord to help me. He will. To get me out of the house Kjel suggested we pick up his car in Chicago. On the way Adi called me. It was wonderful to hear from her. I made her tell me all the boring details of her life the last few days. She left nothing to the imagination. It was wonderful to chat like we could get together that afternoon and hang out. Kjel drove us to his work and showed us where he stayed without us; luxury living! We picked up his car and then I got behind the wheel and took to the roads. If you felt the world shift early this morning it may have been caused by the excitement pumping through my veins. I was responsible to get me and three kids home. We drove through two tolls and a lot of road construction. My last stop before home was a quick detour at Dunkin Donuts. I’ve wanted to visit since our arrival in town. At this point I called Adi back to let her know that when she gets here we will be stopping at Dunkin Donuts and then off we go to our favorite cheap place to eat; Fazoli’s. The boys and I ate donuts on our way home and supplied Clayton and Dad with one when we arrived. I finished the trip off by calling Kjel and telling him I was lost just as I pulled into the driveway. I did it! You can’t see it but I’m patting myself on the back. It’s now late in the afternoon and I have not unpacked a single box today. I spent some time asleep and just being in bed. It was a good way to waste several hours. I then went downstairs to eat and watch Nicholas build with Lego’s. I realized I was dieing to write the events of the past few days so instead of unpacking I moved upstairs to type so that I could waste more time. Hey, I’ve got all the time in the world. I figure I’ll keep this going and then post all the details when we finally get internet. I need an internet fix.
Day Seven – unpacking more boxes
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Today felt good. I started the morning off early as the sun woke me. I live in a home with more windows in one room then I used to have in my entire home. That is a slight exaggeration but not much of one. The sun rises early because there are no mountains. We find ourselves unable to stay in bed past about 7AM. I can stay in bed but I’m not getting anymore sleep. It’s good though because I love to wake to the sunrise. We have yet to think about window treatments so we should be rising early for the next little while. I felt good so I jumped into unpacking the boxes in the basement and setting up the kids play area. They love the space downstairs. It will be nice for them to have it this winter because it will be too cold to play basketball and foursquare outside. Another plus to this place is there are already vents running into the basement so it doesn’t get freezing cold down there. The kitchen is now completely up and running and I promised the family a real meal (not sandwiches) for Sunday dinner. Off I go to the grocery store. This is the big trip. The trip that costs you a fortune because you have to buy all the cleaning supplies and staples that couldn’t travel. I am prepared for the total!! One day I will post specifically about my magical grocery store. I have to take pictures though so give me a few days and I’ll get back there to make a fool of myself taking pictures of groceries. I’m just certain no one will believe me without the pictures. So I spend way too long shopping and as they ring up my total I’m sick about what it will cost. Total bill: $214.00. Now this may seem like a lot but I have to say for my family it is not. I usually spend about $250 dollars for a 2 week period and I don’t have to buy all the cleaning supplies in one trip. I was ecstatic!! I even picked up items like blackberries, 4 dead animals, fresh green beans, yogurt, fake chicken and Boca burgers. The total should have been daunting. The Gotberg’s will be eating much better in this town! When I arrived home I unloaded everything and then settled in for a nap. I awoke to sounds of death coming from downstairs and quickly headed down to find out it was only the kids playing tag. We decided to find a Blockbuster and rent some movies for the evening. We have yet to find a Redbox and without internet I can’t look it up. We’ve decided this place NEEDS Redbox. On the way to renting vids I found Goodwill! It’s moments from my home and quite large. I could hardly contain myself. The night was great. I cooked some yummy food and we settled in to watch our movie. About midpoint I got a call from my friend Cristy!! It was wonderful to talk to her. I love keeping in touch with all of you!
Day Eight – Church going people
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Everyone should have the opportunity to attend church outside of Utah. I’ve always sat in Utah church meetings and thought, all over the world people are singing the same hymns and learning the same lesson and praying as we are. It delights my small mind to think about the commonalities. So today I experience it. Today I walk into my new chapel and experience the same hymns, lessons and prayers. Sacrament meeting was wonderful. It happened to be fast and testimony meeting because last week was Stake Conference. I started the meeting by looking for each of you. I was certain you would be there or at least someone that looked like you or acted like you. By the end of the 3 hour block I was unable to detect any sign of the people I loved from Utah, however, the meeting was wonderful and the spirit was strong. Those that bore their testimonies spoke of faith in Christ and the peace they find in his gospel. There was even a visitor (first time) that shared her testimony. You don’t get that in Utah. Well at least not at any ward I’ve been in. There was a young man that bore his testimony about finding the gospel. He was to be baptized that evening. Our ward consists of Spanish and English speaking members. Kjel says the Spanish speaking members sit at the back of the church and the missionaries translate for them. In Relief Society the sisters meet together for the opening prayer and song and then we split for the announcements and lesson. They are beautiful women. I don’t yet know if any of them speak English. I’d love to get to know them and it will be much easier if they know English because I’ll never figure out Spanish. Church went just like it does in Utah. The meetings were wonderful and the members of my new ward are wonderful. I’m looking forward to next week and meeting more people. Tonight for dinner we ate a real meal.
Day Nine – First day of school
Monday, November 10, 2008
Today my boys start school at their new elementary. Every one at church raved about the great school. I’m taking this as a good sign. I sure hope that we will find it to be a good experience. I dropped the kids off at school and Isaak and I went shopping; Target and Goodwill. My first trip to Goodwill proved to be successful. I found a nice shelf set for $19.99 that I saw at Target and contemplated purchasing but couldn’t bring myself to spending $40.00. Kjel hated the shelf but I loved it and it is working great where I wanted it to work. The afternoon arrived quickly and Isaak and I picked up the kids from school. They had a day. Nic was ecstatic because in his class they play games all day long. Anthony was happy and had a good day but encountered someone taking the Lord’s name in vain. This was very disconcerting to him. Clayton was absolutely distraught. It seems the adjustment for him may be the most difficult. He also encountered new words and I think felt a little sad that he was not so well known for his intelligence. It seems his reputation did not precede him. It will take some time but I’m sure he’ll figure it out. If he doesn’t then that’s okay, it just means we’ve found a good school that will challenge him like the charter school did. I made another real meal for dinner. The boys and their daddy were so happy to have real food.
Day Ten – where are my mountains?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I didn’t think I’d miss them. I realized this morning as the sun blasted through my window that if I had mountains I wouldn’t be waking at 6AM unable to hide my face from light or the children that were brought to life from the morning rays. As I started to complain I realized what a blessing this would be if I was running in the mornings. I’d jump out of bed and hit the pavement. Then I remembered that I’m not running so the sun is simply a bother that doesn’t allow me the sleep that I so desperately think I need. It’s okay I’ll stop complaining about this when I find something new that bothers me.
I was blessed with a phone call from Lynne this evening. It was great to chat with her. It’s been interesting keeping in touch. I love to hear from everyone and I miss everyone and I wish I could be there with you. I feel weird that I’m not there. I’ve been trying to put my feelings into words but I just can’t. My communication skills are lacking, thus I have to just leave it as it seems odd to chat with people and then not visit with them or see them in the grocery store or walking through the neighborhood. It’s like you all disappeared.
Day Eleven – A mailbox
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Today Isaak and I after dropping the boys off at school went on our task of finding a mailbox. The local Home Depot is actually a Menards, (for a good laugh have Kjel pronounce it and use his pirate voice). It was a successful trip with Isaak and I returning home to do the install. The pressure was on as I installed the mailbox. Next door were workmen digging a hole for a new house and across the street were men working on installing siding on a home. So although I’m sure most of you have installed your own mailbox. I’ve in the past left that to the hubby. It’s not like I couldn’t do it, it’s just I wanted him to feel special as he installed it and took care of me. Or maybe it’s because I don’t know what I’m doing. So my first shot at it and all eyes are watching. The last time I tried something new when all eyes were on me ended with me on my back laughing at the park while onlookers covered their faces with hands, jackets, whatever as to prevent me from seeing their giggles. So I have good experience in this area of making a fool of myself. I pulled Kjel’s drill from the garage and got to setting the mounting board in place. Bet you didn’t know there was a mounting board… me either until I looked at the mailbox info and realized I needed to purchase one. Four screws into the mounting board one of which I stripped the something that makes it so you can screw it in. After stripping the something I was no longer able to use the drill, must need a hammer. After finishing the final screw, with the hammer, I placed the mailbox on top and screwed it on to the mounting board. Unbelievable, I have a mailbox. I was so pleased with my work. Today is early day at school so Isaak and I walked to get the boys from school. It was great to get outside. The kids had a wonderful day. Nic still loves playing games all day. Anthony likes his teacher and Clayton is assimilating. He let me know today that he slipped and said the “G” word. How quick we are to learn from our surroundings. I asked him how he felt about it. He said it was yucky and would repent. I think he must have been listening in primary. We talked about our language and I gave the kids ideas of words they can say instead of the common one here. Anthony said my words were dumb and they wouldn’t work. It seems I’m still the cool mom. I can’t wait to see what we bring home tomorrow. Tonight I’m a little down. It gets dark here around 4:30PM. When I say dark I mean pitch black. I have a headache and my tummy feels yucky. I get to go to school tonight and learn about the reading and writing expectations for Nic this school year. The boys are going with me and the school is feeding them dinner. Don’t get too excited and wishing your school would do this. I spent over $50 in school supplies and today each child came home with an envelope that requires another $120 total for school fees? I’m thinking I just bought the meal. I also have very high property taxes. As the school year goes on and I see the results of the education I may not complain, but, if my kids don’t get accepted to Yale I’m going to wonder where the money went! By the way our mailbox works. We got a large sum of mail this afternoon.
Day Twelve – and the race is on
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Today is the day I get internet and phone privileges back. I am so excited. I have come to realize that I truly am addicted to technology. The first thing I will do when I get the internet up and running is I will dump these pages on to my blog and read everyone’s updates on their blogs. Second, I will check my e-mail. I am a little nervous about reading two weeks of e-mail but it will be fun too. Third, I’ll log ong to work and let them know I’m back. I’m excited to start working and I also don’t want to start working. Fourth, I will find out about garbage collection here and where the nearest library is and sign the kids up for hot lunch. It’s going to be a great day.
My pregnancy is going well. I am now just over 8 weeks. Still too soon to announce the pregnancy but I’ve always had a difficult time following rules. The tell tale signs have begun to present themselves. In the past four pregnancies my stomach and my butt have taken it upon themselves to race to the finish. It seems to be their little contest of which can grow the fastest and the biggest. Currently my butt is winning, however, I do hope my stomach will take over and present itself soon so as to prevent the common misconception that I’m just gaining weight. I try to fake everyone out and appear to be healthy and when my butt starts winning it’s hard to keep up appearances. The other joyous happening is I get to constantly pee my pants. I have potty trained four children. You would think by now I would have a good grasp on how, when, why and where to use the potty. I’ve studied, trained and prepared and yet as I get further along my body gets it’s own mind and I find myself running, as if I’ve been holding it all day long so I could play with my best friend in the backyard, to the toilet. And even as I arrive I discover that I’ve not quite made it. It’s true. When the pregnancy ends I’ll regain some of this control but I will always find myself careful as I participate in certain activities, i.e. jumping, running, standing up, moving, sneezing, coughing, deep breathes. The world tells you to practice Kegel exercises so as to strengthen these muscles and to prevent pre-bathroom trips. I’m sure they work great but the world also has a lot of other expectations of me so I have to organize my life and buy stock in Depends now so that as I get older I’ll be making money off my mishap.