Saturday, January 10, 2009

happenings

Today I have a smile on my face. I can't seem to erase the happiness that is flowing from my insides. It's just a good day. And to think it's only 9AM!! This week has had many wonderful happenings.
Thursday night I went to Enrichment Night at the church. It was fun to hang out with people. There was a small turn out but it was a lot of ladies much older than I so it was super wonderful. Older people don't scare me. It's funny but kids don't scare me and old people don't scare me. On the way home I stopped and picked up some Arby's beef and cheddar sandwiches for Kjel. I had this brilliant idea and ordered one without beef for me. Here's the conversation.
ME: How much would you charge me for a beef and cheddar sandwich without the beef?
Confused Lady: Without the beef?
ME: Yes.
CL: Um, you just want the bun, the cheese and the sauce?
ME: Yes (I'm drooling right now)
CL: Free??
ME: You wouldn't charge me anything?
CL: For a bun, cheese and sauce? No.
ME: I'll take one of those!! (Can you see me smiling)

My sandwich was delicious. Can't wait for the next one.
After that I continued home. Did you read that last word... home. I turned down the street that connects to the street that connects to the street that I live on and suddenly I realized I was going home. I immediately called Kjel and told him I was coming home. He of course said, I know. And I said, are you listening? I'm coming home. It feels like home. It was a momentous evening.

During the week I found out that MY sister is coming to see me!! That's right Katrina is coming to my house. This is my first visitor. I'm all a glow with joy. I can't wait to show her all the sights! The first thing we'll see is the snow in the front yard and then I'll show her my backyard... you guessed it, more snow. If the weather's good we'll play in it, otherwise it will be a look but don't touch. Speaking of look but don't touch I was thinking I'd drive her down to the lake and we could stare at it from the fogged up windows of the van. I do hope she's coming to see me and not the sights, otherwise, she may be disappointed.

Also, my sister Adi (for those of you who don't know, it's official, we've adopted each other as sisters) She is going on a trip. She leaves on Sunday and has a layover at the ...... CHICAGO AIRPORT. Did I mention she will be at the Chicago airport? She has a whole 45minutes there. Kjel thinks this is just enough time for her to catch the next plane. I've gone over this in my head and I'm pretty sure that if I explain to the guards that my sister is there and has 45 minutes to chat they'll happily step aside and let me in. If this doesn't work I was thinking there must be a spot at the airport where we could see each other. She of course staying on the secure side and me waving from the locked out of the airport side. Alas, Kjel has put his foot down and says I'm being ridiculous. I don't think so but it seems he has a way of being right about these things so I'll just stay here and think about seeing her at the airport.

Friday morning it started snowing. It was beautiful as I watched it from the inside of my warm home. I do like snow. I even enjoy shoveling it, hence why after school pick-up I donned my warm boots and gloves and got to work. There was about 7 inches on the driveway and walks. Nic came out with me because his homework was to play in the snow. I was glad for the happy company. (those of you freaking out because I'm pregnant and shouldn't be shoveling can just smile and wave, people do all kinds of exercise when they are pregnant and shoveling brings me great happiness) As I was shoveling my neighbors pulled into their driveway. Let's pause here and I can tell you about my neighbors. I have this problem meeting people. I get all anxiety ridden. About mid-December I had this strong feeling I should meet my neighbors. The feeling kept coming back and I pushed it away because it's really scary. Christmas comes and I could easily make a treat and walk it over. I don't. New Years comes and I made bread and Kjel pulled me out the door to make a visit. At this point I had convinced myself that I didn't need to meet them it was just that someone at my house needed to meet them. SO, I told Kjel he should make the visit. He was not sure that a man showing up with a loaf of bread was a good idea. I begrudginly put my coat on and with great anxiety walked the path to next door. When we arrived I could barely handle the stress. Kjel rang the doorbell and I grasped onto the bread and planted a "happy" smile on my face. No one answered. No one answered. There was no one home. Usually at this point I just do a drop and run but I knew that wouldn't work because the idea was I was supposed to meet them. (oh the agony) As we came back home I quipped to Kjel that obviously it wasn't meant to be. It didn't matter if we met the neighbors because if it did they would have been home. As I walked through the door of my home all I could think was am I Laman or Lemuel??? Obviously not Nephi with the I will go and do what the Lord has commanded strength. I set the bread aside and continued to stewed as to how to meet these people. Fast Forward to Friday and me shoveling, neighbors stuck in their driveway. I of course kept looking over and wondering, can I help? They finally gave in and got out of their vehicle. This is my chance, I can be brave?? I call out... are you my neighbor?? I know you'd think I was two... are you my neighbor?? The kind lady says, I'm not but these boys are. She has the three boys come out of the garage to say hi. I met each one. She tells me she is the home health nurse and that there is also one other boy. Imagine 4 boys right next door. Let's get to the good part... one of the boys has down syndrome, the others I met had some kind of physical, mental disability. They were the sweetest. The nurse told me that the boys love to play outside. It was a wonderful little chat. I walked away beaming and thinking about the greatest neighbors a person could possibly have. I am the luckiest. As I turned around my neighbor across the street was using his snow blower to clear my driveway and walks. Can you say someone needs cookies!! All I could do was thank him for his kindness. Later in the evening I was thinking about how I was sure I needed to meet my neighbors because that's what a good member missionary would do. I knew the Lord wanted me to meet them. Here's the thing... wait for it... I thought the Lord wanted me to meet my neighbors so I could help them. I know now that He wanted me to meet them so they could help me. I can't tell you the joy I have knowing that these beautiful children live next door to me. Can anyone say cookies. I think I have some baking to do, so I'm off.