Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

I'm currently online watching the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

I just listened to the buttery smooth voice of Aretha Franklin melt the cold with her warm voice as she sang My Country Tis of Thee.

Vice President Biden is being sworn in right now. This moment he's saying the oath and I can feel my body swell with excitement in this moment of history.

It's done... it's official.

Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma are playing. I must stop typing and just be... DID YOU HEAR IT... tis a gift to be simple, oh what a beautiful song. My heart joys.

Presidential Oath of Office... here it comes. History, beauty, tradition.

It's done.

And the music plays and the celebrations begin. We have a new President of the United States. I'm interested to see what he says....

He says he is humbled, grateful for the trust and mindful of the sacrifices born by our ancestors. He is thankful to President Bush for his service. I love how he talks about the faithful founding fathers and how we need to be like them. He says our challenges will be met. On this day we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose..... we remain a young nation but in the words of scripture the time has come to set aside childish things.... all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue (? i may have this word wrong) their full measure of happiness. Greatness must be earned. Our ancestors saw America as bigger than all the sum of our individual ambitions. Starting today we must pick ourselves up dust ourselves off and begin the work again of re-making America.

I think I want a copy of the speech to hang in my home to strengthen my family. I can see why so many voted for President Obama. His speaking is skilled and makes happiness and hard work abound. His speech brings strength to the people. I will support him as he makes changes. I will gratefully stand as he protects our nation. I will find pride as I tell my children about the 44th President Barack Obama. I will also find a greater interest in our governement. I will more openly do my job as a citizen to protect rights promised. I will fight ideas that sicken my soul. I am proud this day to be an American.

Elizabeth Alexander... poet. I'll take a copy of her poem for my house. I could study this for many hours.

Rev. Lowry, benediction: Beautiful words, poetry and truthfulness.

OH say can you see by the dawns early light.....

Sign me up for a transcript of the event. May good and strength come in this presidency and to the people of this great nation and world.