Wednesday, January 28, 2009

punctu - what - the

So I guess I have some punctuation problems. It's a grammar thing. It's not that teachers didn't try, it's just that I didn't get it. I blame myself for coming up with silly rules on when to use what. Like comma's, somehow I got in my mind that a comma should be used anytime you would naturally take a breath. Well it seems that I breathe either too much or not enough because my comma's are never placed correctly. Exclamation points should be used at all happy, mad, sad or emotional times!! And although I have since learned that there should only be one at the end of a sentence I'm sure that rule will be lifted because truly life is much too interesting to only have one point. When it comes to ; and : I never got anything out of them except :) and ;). I know there's something more because when I read real people writings I can totally see the usefulness of these items, however, I have no idea how to implement them into mine. One great problem that I also encounter is when I use ( ) do I include a period inside of them or does it go on the outside? Should I be using (them) or should I be using comma's to set apart my thoughts? It's a conundrum. I also have problems when I add an "S" to make something plural or show ownership. Oh and in case you haven't noticed I have no idea when my thoughts begin and end so periods are randomly placed. New paragraph, are you kidding me it's just one long train of thoughts. I didn't use to have this problem because I would only write lists:
  • grocery
  • to do
  • to fix
  • to buy
  • to solve
  • to be
I know how to use bullet points!! Seeing as I am now branching out with my writing I fear that my message may at times be confusing as there may be important pauses, clauses or points that are missing. I think I may pick up that book Eats, Shoots & Leaves. I need some serious study.