Last Friday I took off with a group of girls. We road tripped our way to Nauvoo, IL. I love that town. I love that everything closes at dusk and that sometimes the next day it doesn't re-open. It's just this nice comfy town. I once visited as a teenager and my thoughts on the place were quite different, in fact I was certain I was going to die in Nauvoo. Not of boredom but it has this ghost town like feel and I was sure we were all going to die. Happy memories.
We started the trip strong, right on target. The road was filled with mostly nothing to see but the chat inside the car was wild and hilarious. Don't you just love women!! We did get a slight slow down as I rubber necked to get this picture. The accident was on the other side of the highway but I figured it was only fair that I get a turn to see what everyone else ahead of me had checked out.

The map was working great and when the map and driver (myself) didn't work the alternative map and better map readers took over and with only one slight (just over an hour) detour we arrived in Nauvoo. It was later in the afternoon so of course most everything had closed.
We did get to catch a yummy dinner in this cute cafe. Here's a pic of the girls.
As soon as we finished we ran to a performance put on by the missionaries. The performance is singing, dancing, acting and laughing. It was super cute and super hilarious. I walked out no longer wondering why people think Mormons are weird. I guess we are. I must say if I was not a member the little "Rendezvous" performance certainly would have left me wondering. The missionaries are awesome and you can feel the spirit in their presence and smiles. What a great service they provide. I learned a lot from the production including where gossip started. Bet you wouldn't guess but even way back then the RS had a problem with spouting their mouths. When will it stop??
After the show it was back to the hotel to chat and chat and chat. We stayed up way too late but there was so much to talk about. I didn't know anything about these ladies before the trip and by the end we were sisters. Hooray for unity and sisterhood.
Saturday morning we woke early to get breakfast and attend a temple session. We were supposed to eat breakfast at the hotel but it seems these scrapbookers with their little convention had taken over and the rest of the guests were not being served. I am NOT bitter, no way. I got to eat breakfast in a bar. I have never been in a bar. Ever, ever. The only place open was the town bar so we hooked ourselves up with a booth and ordered. Breakfast was yummy and the service was great. I'm sure us four old ladies in dresses made for some wonderful laughs for the regulars. I wish I could have been in on their conversations.
The weather was pitiful, it had snowed frozen stuff all night. We were experiencing a little more freeze and the after effects of frozen ground. We parked the car and quickly walked, without slipping, to the temple. I had decided to not wear nylons because there was no way I was pulling them on and off multiple times. Do not worry I was properly chastised for leaving my legs bare. I am sure I know the source of the punishment... my grandmother. I am certain that she made sure that it was extra cold around me and that the walk was long so as to remind me of how I should be dressed to attend the temple. I was sure that leaving the nylons off could be understood considering that I am way pregnant. I guess I was wrong. I am thankful Grandma Nina sent the storm to remind me. I must say that on the way out of the temple I left my white temple nylons on because I had learned my lesson.
Upon arrival we stood in the entry and tried to catch our breath and I tried to warm my legs. Oh the pain. After checking in we headed to change into our temple dresses. Normally I wouldn't mention this because it's really not a big deal, however, this time it was. In my last post I mentioned that everything is shrinking. Well it seems that the temple dress that I've worn through every single pregnancy, prior to birth and shortly there after also shrunk. I don't know how it happened. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem. I stood in my little dressing room and fought the zipper and sucked in my breath and positioned the dress on "thinner" spots in hopes it would close. No go. Fortunately the RS pres walked out just then and I begged her for help. She was able to rent me a dress. This one did fit. I'm still wondering though how I wore that other dress throughout 4 pregnancies but not number 5. Let's not state the obvious here.
The temple was beautiful. It was wonderful to be inside and just feel peace. The history behind the Nauvoo temple is truly incredible. We had the opportunity to see Joseph Smiths saber (his name is carved in it) and many other items from the era that the temple was originally built by the saints sacrifice and faith.
My favorite item was this picture. It means SO much to me. I love the lambs. I love Christ. I love that he is willing to hold me. No matter.
After our time at the temple we headed back into the cold. I took this picture for my boys because they are so amazed when they see icicles. It don't know why but they find the greatest of joy in frozen water.
The trip home was wonderful filled with more conversation. Do we ever shut up?? No way. We stopped for lunch and one of the songs that played was this one. I just sat and thought about how it seemed to fit perfect for the moment and for others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsT2URr1Igc
Totally unrelated to this post but hilarious and must be documented.
Last night we were chatting with Clayton. We're working on some processes and well they tend to lead to conversations. Poor kid. As we started into this one he quickly interrupted and said, " I hate these talks because they never work on me, haven't you noticed." All I could do was laugh and give him a hug. Kjel also cracked a smile but quickly regained composure. Love you Rooster!!