I see them everywhere. Somehow numbers are supposed to mean something.
When I was training with Adi for the marathon, a few years ago, we spent a lot of time paying attention to numbers; the number of miles we ran, the number of minutes it took, the number of walk breaks and water stops. So much focus on little tiny digits.
When I grocery shop it's all about numbers; how many cents per ounce, how many dollars per item, how many pounds of fruit will make it how many dollars.
Back in Junior High numbers presented themselves in a different but very important way; numbers for my locker combination, number of late assignments, number of pages needing to be read before the next class, number of pictures of friends proving my popularity, number of guys I thought were cute.
I can see how these symbols have been a constant companion. Sometimes bringing joy and other times bringing grief.
After my visit with the doc today I'm sure that I should be paying more attention to numbers. It seems that the number of pounds gained in four weeks had two digits. Just barely two digits (10 lbs.) but no less. I had a quick conversation with doc about how I had begun exercising and muscle weighs more than fat. He agreed, he also chimed in that exercise makes you eat more. I had never agreed with that idea but after today I'm sure he's right. I have certainly gained some muscle and I have found myself "needing" to eat more because of the exercise. Fortunately, doc and I had a laugh on it and he told me not to worry. Also, fortunately I'm not worried. I have a tendency to put weight on when I'm pregnant. It's just how it happens. This is the time period when I pull out my super hero powers and pack it in places you've never seen. So I will be paying closer attention to numbers. I will make better mental notes about the number of candy bars I consume in 20 minutes time. I'll keep better track of making certain I have the really good high number calories/fat ice cream. I'll be counting the number of times I eat "lunch" eat day. After all this is the last chance to gain weight with a super easy excuse. This is the last time I'll experience a being growing inside of my body. I will not miss one single number this time. I'll be counting each hiccup, each kick, each trip to the bathroom, each pound, each contraction, each number. I'll make sure to not miss anything important that I can't get back.
Hooray for numbers to help us keep track of life.