Wednesday, April 29, 2009

everything i ever needed to know i learned in primary

when i was serving as primary president this was one of the songs that we had the opportunity to learn. each time the children sang it i would bust out in tears. their tender voices brought truth to my soul. when i was released from the calling i sang this song during a talk i gave in church and nearly lost it with tears. i love my primary kids. all primary children i've worked with and ever will work with have filled my soul with faith and tenderness. much of my strength is attributed to the lessons they have taught me.
i was digging through some music today and had found this and couldn't help but listen to it, reminisce, and cry. i pulled up my talk and bawled like a baby. you'd think by now i'd be all healed from my release several years ago. maybe i am, maybe i'm just crying because i'm having hot flashes and hormone changes. i miss those kids that called me teacher and would run to give me a hug. give your little ones hugs tonight, for me but also for you. how blessed we are to have little children.

for your reading pleasure or to just fill empty time below is my talk from when i was released. the grammar is a mess (ask Clayton) and it's very rough because well i just don't understand certain things, but just for kicks here it is:

What I learned in primary

  • I learned that if you want a three year old to be reverent don’t sing Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam
  • I learned that 11½ year old boys REALLY want to be 12 and in YM’s
  • I learned that 9 year olds are still quick to quiet down when you remind them their parents are nearby.
  • I learned that even after children move on to YM and YW’s they’ll humor you and smile and wave.
  • I learned that a talk from a five year old is filled with deep insight and their prayers will always bless the food and get us home safe.
  • I learned of many pregnancies LONG before the news was being shared.
  • I learned that good friends can be 60 or 6 and when I have the faith of a 4 year old I will have a lot figured out.
  • I learned that when you ask, people will help.
  • I learned that I have a lot to learn but if I follow the four primary answers, I’ll be on the right path.

Read my scriptures, say my prayers, go to church, and don’t hit my brother or sister.

First, Read my scriptures:
In primary we spent a lot of time really studying the scriptures. We used the footnotes, the bible dictionary, the topical guide and the maps. Even the little ones opened the scriptures found verses and followed as we deciphered meanings. We really wanted the kids to hear the language and learn to find comfort not confusion in the scriptures. As we spent time pausing in the scriptures and breaking each passage down to understanding, my love of the scriptures has grown. I love that Alma repented, was forgiven and helped numerous people as he taught the gospel in his time and continues to shine as an example as we read about and learn from him. I love that Enos was taught by his father and then knelt down on his own to find out if what was taught was true. I love that Nephi never wavered. He knew the Lord had a plan and that he would follow His plan, no questions. I love these scripture people. That is all they were people, just like us. They lived there lives, they did their best and they left a grand legacy

Second, Say my prayers:
Another standard answer to keep us on the straight and narrow path, and an area that I’m improving but still needs much more work. When we pray we silence the noise of the world and we strengthen our souls. So often we take our complaints, worries, or questions to friends or burden our parents with our frustrations, or my favorite take our stress out on our children. I’m finding that as I take my questions, complaints, fears and gratitude to the Lord in prayer He will give me answers. When I unload on Him, like He’s asked us to, He strengthens me, comforts me, chastises me or let’s me cry without judging me. He is the one with the answers, the unbiased opinion and the eternal perspective.

Third, Go to Church:
As we meet together each Sunday we strengthen each other, we sing hymns, we hear talks and we learn as we teach and listen to lessons. Most importantly we renew our covenants, and align ourselves with righteousness. Especially in primary my testimony has been strengthened each Sunday. Simple truths are taught, the truths that carry us through life. One of the most important things we do is sing. I can remember the words to primary songs from when I was a child. The truths that the children sing each week will forever bless their lives. These small beings have a commitment to the gospel and the Lord. As we sing about the Army of Helaman or Heavenly Father hearing our prayers, or how our Faith grows, our children are gaining insight and their testimonies are being built. I have many favorite songs they sing, one though that touches me is Holding Hands around the World. As they sing about children everywhere learning the gospel and standing for right I envision the power of these children. I also consider myself in the words of the song and hope I can live up to the standards it shares.

1. There are children singing all around the world,
Happy voices ringing out the joyful word:
We are children glowing with the gospel light,
Standing tall, walking strong, choosing right.
There are children leading out in ev’ry land
Who believe in keeping all the Lord’s commands.
Like the stripling warriors we go forth in faith,
For we know that the Lord is our strength.
We are children holding hands around the world,
Like an army with the gospel flag unfurled.
We are led by His light,
And we love truth and right.
We are building the kingdom of God.

2. There are children sharing all around the world,
Leading other children to the gospel fold.
With the strength of youth, we do the Father’s work.
With our hearts and our hands we will serve.
We are cov’nant children with a gift to give.
We will teach the gospel by the way we live.
With each word and action, we will testify:
We believe, and we serve Jesus Christ.

And lastly but of no less importance: Don’t hit your brother or sister.
I’ve learned we are all just doing the best we can to survive and get back to our father in heaven. As we work together peacefully and patiently our team of saints will find joy. I did the best with the information I had. I made mistakes, I hurt feelings, and I still have much MORE to learn. Thankfully, I had sweet stalwart sisters by my side keeping me on path, helping me accomplish all there was to do and sharing their examples of fortitude and righteousness, kind of like life. As we give each other a chance and serve together without judgment, our lives are blessed, our homes are blessed and our ward is blessed.

Press forward, Saints, with steadfast faith in Christ,
With hope’s bright flame alight in heart and mind,
With love of God and love of all mankind.
[Chorus]
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

2. Press forward, feasting on the word of Christ.
Receive his name, rejoicing in his might.
Come unto God; find everlasting light.

3. Press on, enduring in the ways of Christ.
His love proclaim thru days of mortal strife.
Thus saith our God: “Ye have eternal life!”

I learned that I love these children, because they call out silly answers, they remember the clouds, sky and grass are beautiful. These children know that God loves them and Jesus was resurrected. They forgive and forget; they live in the moment and look forward to going home and taking off their church clothes. I love them because they put all their energy into crying when you drop them off the first few weeks but settle in when we sing I am a Child of God. I love that they stop me and tell me about their missing tooth or CTR ring or favorite BBQ sauce. I love that they hug me. I love that when I think of them I make better choices.

I love that Heavenly Father gave me this opportunity to grow and learn from scholars