With a house of boys you never know what smell is brewing. I don't know if my interest in scents started with the kids or it's always been present but I have this silly thing I do that I thought I'd share.
This started years ago when I first noticed smells reminding me of past events.
Fresh cut lawn - summer
rain -- dancing with my kids in it
bacon -- weight gain
There are many others. As I thought about this I realized that I had a great power that I could bring back memories and emotions with a simple sniff. So I started intentionally planting smells to remind me of things.
When I was pregnant with Clayton I only used Cucumber Melon lotion. Whenever I pull it out I think of my pregnancy, albeit was miserable, the smell reminds me of my first pregnancy.
A few years ago I traveled to Virginia to see Amy, Macie and new baby Carsen (and Mike too). I pulled out a bottle of lotion that had been sitting under my sink and brought it along. Macie and I spent the week slathering Mango Mandarin lotion all over ourselves and poor baby Carsen. Everytime I pull that scent out I get all giddy inside about my time with those cute girls.
Last March our family had the opportunity to vacation in Lego Land. This was a big moment as it was our first family vacation and we'd given up Christmas and several other things to bring it to pass. I went shopping for a scent. The scent of choice was Coconut Lime Verbena. This year when it was the anniversary of our trip I slathered it on and walked around the house with a smile. I even slid my hand under Isaak's nose and asked him what he could smell. With a big smile on his face he said, It's Lego Land. I love when we indoctrinate our children early.
The smell of lemons makes me think of Grandpa Cecil and his always favorite flavor of lemons.
The smell of raspberries bring happy thoughts of my dad to mind.
The smell of Salon Selectives or Aussie hair spray remind me of when I was a teenager doing the cool cliff bang look.
Whenever I use Biz Bleach in my wash it reminds me of when I started my womanhood and regularly was washing certain under things out.
Speed Stick reminds me of my husband.
The cologne Cool Waters reminds me of Kjel and I dating.
There's this smell that reminds me of my mom. I don't know what the smell is other than it is pleasant and I just know when it's present.
The smell of clothing in a dryer reminds of early morning runs with super cool women and catching the whiff of clean laundry in the air.
Pine Sol makes me think of Adrianne.
I'm sure there are many more that could be listed. I'll have to keep the list updated. I have picked out a scent that I'm drowning my baby tummy in. When it's all said and done I'll share the scent of choice but for now it's between me and Milo.