Two days ago I wrote about enjoying every last moment of my 3rd tri. How I was going to just sit back and relish each of the 83 days until the arrival of Milo.
I am sure the planets aligned to remind me once again that I should not make statements of surety. I published the post and within hours I was having contractions.
Although quite certain they were just your standard Braxton Hicks. I spent most of the day thinking no worries. As the day went on I found myself reading a few pages on contractions and calling my sister for her to remind me what a real contraction is. By that evening they were coming regularly. Not painful but certainly increasing in discomfort. I decided to get some sleep and if it was going to get worse the pain would wake me in the night and then we'd make some decisions.
Morning arrived and I realized I had not even gotten up to use the bathroom. Surely everything was fine. Oh wait, what's that?? Another contraction?? Could it be?? They were back with a vengeance and for the sake of checking I called the doc. They wanted me to head into Labor and Delivery to be monitored. I rolled my eyes and was certain that the nurses there would hook me up and alas I'd be that silly mom who was feeling nothing and they'd send me home within minutes and then spend the evening telling their family about how another one of those dumb pregnant ladies came in to be checked and all she needed to do was fart!
I packed a bag for Isaak to keep him interested for the 30 minutes we'd be there and dropped the older boys off at school.
Even as I walked into the hospital I was certain everything would be fine. Kjel had given me a blessing the evening prior and from what he shared I knew and know that Milo will make it full term. Interesting though how when I know that everything is going to be fine I second guess myself as to what I should really do and if the steps I'm taking are really necessary.
I was hooked up to the monitor and within an hour of being there I registered 4 contractions. It seems that if you have 3 contractions in an hour you get to go home. 4 means you get to stay, be shot up with terbutaline, and pumped full of IV fluids. No worries, one shot will stop it all and Isaak and I will be on our way by 10AM. They continued to monitor me and I had 3 more contractions in an hour period. After a nurse consult with doc I get another shot of terbutaline and more fluids pumped into my system. The meds are helping but they're not ceasing the contractions. More time being monitored and me watching the clock wondering if I'll be out in time to get the kids from school. Two more contractions in the next time frame and doc orders a fetal fibronectin. It seems this magic test can determine with accuracy if you will deliver in the next two weeks. After the test was complete I was sent home with the orders to contact my doc and see him Monday. I finally gathered my things and left at 3:30PM. The hospital will call me if the test comes back positive. My appointment with doc is scheduled for Wednesday and I'm sure everything will be fine.
I must thank all those who helped me through this process. When you move away from everyone you know, it kind of changes these processes.
As I left for the hospital I considered finding somewhere for Isaak to hang out. I came to the conclusion that this was no big deal and honestly I wanted him with me. I knew I would be stronger if he was with me and it would be fun to read and color and have a buddy while I was sitting around. When the clock hit 1:00 I knew I needed to find someone to pick the boys up from school. The only number I had memorized was Kjel's cell phone and I could not call long distance. I next moved to the process of a phone book. This meant remembering people's last names and their husbands names. I came up with lots of last names but kept drawing a blank on the spouse name. Finally it came to me that I knew Heather Taylor's husbands name before I even knew her so I called their house. Blessed me, she answered the phone. I think she may have been sleeping but she stepped up to the plate and started calling people who would be picking up their own kids from school and could stuff mine in a trunk. She found Tanya home and this sweet woman, although barely postpartum herself stuffed 9 kids into her van and brought them all to her home. (some people just deserve medals). I then looked at poor Isaak and thought, you just need to get out of here. I called Jamie Delavan who kindly ran up to the hospital and picked up Isaak (medal for Jamie). Now to contact Kjel who has been in the dark since early that morning. (some people are not very good at charging cell phones. I've learned my lesson. Today I'm fully charged) How do I call Kjel and let him know that everything is just fine?? Another call to Heather Taylor with one more ridiculous request. Will you call Kjel and give him my number at the hospital so I can let him know everything is just fine. She kindly accepts (another medal earned for Heather). So many people stepped up to rescue and me honestly so many more would have willing helped I just couldn't remember their husbands names. I can today though!!
Something funny... when you realize just how much you want someone to be with you. Kjel called and although he couldn't leave work (he, that morning started participating in the van pool so he was at work until the van left) he chatted with me and I cried. Not those tears of everything is falling apart but those tears of I just want you to be here. I know it's all okay but I've thought about you all day, I've wanted to talk to you all day, now I am and I just want you here. Poor guy all day in the dark wondering what is going on talking to his tearful wife.
Here are my thoughts today on yesterday.
- I'm glad that my pants fit me on the way to the hospital because they pumped me with so much fluid my pants barely pulled up around my butt. Today they fit again. Glad that I didn't wear a tight pair though.
- Milo is going to be a trickster. Yesterday was April Fools and he's just getting us prepped for his trickery. I of course will go the entire 40 weeks and in the end do my usual of having to be started to get the kid out. (hooray for that!)
- There are people all around me that although didn't plan on saving me yesterday stepped in, even though busy, and helped me.
- Nurses are a blessing. I had two kind nurses that helped in every way they could.
- Cell phones are dumb but if you have one you should keep it charged. You may find it a helpful tool.
- I've always wondered why there's a phone book in the hospital drawer. Now I know.
- A ward list will be kept on my person at all times, just in case.
- When I receive revelation on your behalf that says everything is going to be fine, it doesn't mean that I can just sit back and hang out. There may be additional steps I need to follow to make all fine.
- LeShel should be careful in making statements of certainty because she still has much to learn and past history proves that the power is not in her hands!