Tuesday, May 26, 2009

DECT

A few years ago I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful Sunday evening fireside. A husband and wife shared with us some insight on parenting. They were a wealth of knowledge and the small amount of time I spent with them was truly not enough. Sadly, I also cannot find my handouts from their class.

Do you ever feel like you had an opportunity and really didn't take full advantage??

I'm writing this because I do remember a few things. One of which was this acronym DECT. Now, here's the tricky part I only remember the first two words for sure, the third I think I know and the last one has been keeping me up at night trying to figure it out. The D stands for Directed, the E stands for Expected, the C (i think) stands for Controlled and the T, well I know it's an important one (hence my many sleepless hours) but I cannot remember it.

The message shared in this acronym is one that I have noticed a lot lately in my parenting. Realizing, that it's important to be a parent and teach our children, the above method of our kids getting DECTed all the time is not a good way of parenting.

Dang, I sure wish I could type more. I think I'm going to have to shoot an e-mail off to Alyson in hopes she can send me some details from that evening. I do need to correct my current method before it takes over!

PS: I just heard from Alyson and the T stands for threatened. Also I got the C wrong, it stands for corrected.
Thinking about my life as adult I can't imagine being constantly directed, expected, corrected and threatened. Seems like a miserable relationship, the kind I'd walk out on. Things to think about.