Wednesday, May 13, 2009

the smell of grandma

A few years ago I was cleaning my kitchen and came across the smell of my Grandmother at Christmas. It was in my hair. I spent the day sniffing my hair. I even had my sister smell it and she agreed that I smelled just like Grandma. How wonderful to have her with me all day long.

Last night we made Grandma's Rice Krispie treats for FHE treat. Nic and I carefully prepared the ingredients and served the delicious snack to everyone. Yum for the taste and for the memories of picnics and activities when Grandma brought these to share.

This morning I pulled a robe out of my closet and it smelled of my Grandmother. How fortunate for me to spend the morning basked in her loving scent. I can't explain what Grandma smelled like. I've caught the scent in the air as I've been to certain places. I frequently visit those places because they feel safe and I know Grandma must be there. She didn't wear fancy perfumes or lotions. She just had this wonderful scent that when her arms were wrapped around you safety would envelope your soul.

Grandma was always at the right place at the right time. I don't know if she planned life that way but my guess is that she was just living and listening to the Spirit. She just arrived and brought joy with her.

Speaking of arrivals of people that bring joy, last week I had a surprise visit at my door. I should have written about this Friday morning but it just seemed so surreal that if I mentioned it somehow it would be taken away. This beautiful woman with her dear husband in tow arrived at my house. I knew in advance she would be visiting but still the shock when it actually happened cannot be described.

Our relationship has grown strong since the time we spent visiting with each other when I'd get out of class up at the U. I'd walk past her home nearly every day and if I was really smart I'd stop by to visit her and her beautiful children. I'd bask in her knowledge of life and play with her two cute kids. I loved our time we spent together. After I had my first child I'd often run away to her house for the day and we'd spend time at the zoo or in a fort the kids built or just letting the kids run around and wreak havoc on her home. We grew together as we played with our kids and watched each other grow.

Last year at this time she, my cousin, rescued me from despair that cannot be described. She and many others were instrumental in my process of healing by helping me find the tools I needed to heal then and continue to stand today. It's not that she was looking to solve life for me. She was in the right place at the right time. How blessed we are for people that unknowingly are in the right place at the right time.

So on my doorsteps she stands, smile on her face, arms wrapped around me, my head buried in her hair, the two of us breathing in rhythm grateful for this opportunity to step away from reality and experience life on another plain.

Thanks for the wonderful visit and the time that we spent together. I am stronger yesterday, today and tomorrow because of your soul in the right place at the right time.