Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Someone Special

Sometimes in life you just get lucky!
Really it has nothing to do with what you've earned or who you are or where you're going.

I was barely old enough to be dating. I worked at a family restaurant as a hostess and in walks tall, blond and handsome. Of course, I was always looking for some cutie to have on my arm. I was interested in guys the minute I joined the earth. It's been said I was checking out the guys before I left the hospital. If I'd known my number I'm sure I would have given it to them.

So, this guy with a strange name is looking for a job. Something to fill some time as he studies to become a Fire Fighter. Rumors filled the work place; he's preparing to go on a mission, he thinks that so and so is cute. Perfect, he's not interested in me, now I can talk to him. See, as much as I liked guys as soon as I was "interested" I no longer could be near them. I couldn't complete a coherent sentence if they were anywhere near.

Asked out on a date by this cutie. That's how one night at work ended. I was beyond excited to have this guy ask me out. Yes!!

Date was fun but nothing really. After all I couldn't talk because I would say something stupid and anyone that's met this guy knows he doesn't carry conversations. It was fun to see a movie together and eat dinner on the tailgate of his truck.

Fast forward to my Homecoming Dance! I get stood up.... well not actually but this cute guy had told me he was going to ask me to the Homecoming Dance and he asked some other girl and I was left feeling vengeance. What to do? What to do? Thank you, I'll be sporting my arm candy from work!
At the time poor cute guy from work has no idea that my main purpose in asking him to the dance is to flaunt him in front of meanie head and make meanie head jealous. I don't know if meanie head ended up jealous or not but that night changed the future forever.

So here we are getting close to celebrating 14 years of marriage. Who could have known that me taking advantage of an innocent guy could lead to so many years of happiness?

This post is for my arm candy who through the years has also:
  • talked me down from crazy situations
  • helped me learn to love myself
  • cleaned the house
  • worked multiple jobs to keep the finances from falling apart
  • spent years studying to gain an education
  • cleaned toilets
  • stayed up late listening to me cry or rant or both
  • bought tampons at the grocery store
  • cleaned up kid puke when everyone should be asleep
  • touched my shoulders just to let me know he's home
  • put up with my insanity and hormonal happiness
  • come home every night from work even when in all honesty he'd have been better off staying at work!
  • brought me smiles
  • built a relationship with me
  • fought a good fight and won
  • fought a good fight and let me win
  • told me the truth even when it hurt
  • just loved me for me, when sometimes me wasn't what he signed up for
Here's to you babe : My hottie du jour, the guy I get to be with everyday! Love you!

BTW: I've used up all my energy this morning typing this post about you so don't plan on the house being clean or dishes done or the laundry picked up off the floor of our bedroom :)
Like I always say:
You picked me. I had no choice, I was stuck with me. Who's the stupid one?