There comes a time when you must learn to ignore talking going on around you. This morning was one of those times.
The week has left it's standard stains of exhaustion and dirt. To begin to solve the problems I spent the morning in bed. IN fact, it is now almost noon and I just finished eating breakfast and taking a shower. You ask, "how do you do this with five children?"
I have an incredible ability to ignore noise.
For instance, this morning Isaak sat next to me in bed trying with all his 6 year old might to remove my body from the blissful comfort of my bed. The genius that he is left him resorting to the use of repetition. The phrase of choice was... "the size of Theodore's butt." I refused to show interest and kept my eyes closed pretending to ignore his obnoxious one sided talk fest. At one point I broke slightly and told him I didn't care about Theodore's butt. Of course this left a negative reaction of laughter and more repetition. Soon I decided that if counting sheep can help one fall asleep then counting this phrase could also help. I counted over 30 and decided he had set up camp and would be there until I arose.
HA! I won I found sleep and the next time I awoke the room was again empty. From downstairs I heard all kinds of noise. Well two kinds of noise. At my house if there is noise it comes from two sources. Source one is teasing and all manner of rude mocking. Source two is screaming STOP IT or SHUT UP or STUPID IDIOT or GET OFF at the top of your lungs in hopes that source one will cease. Because I am such a wonderful mom I have often times sat in discussion (loud yelling) sharing tricks to being left alone or ways to get out of the situation. It seems(although never tried) my ideas will not work and boys must resort to other methods of resolve.
I was at this time not yet ready to move from bed. Matthias was still snuggled softly next to me and I was certain I could still find enjoyment from more time in my self made asylum.
The sources of noise were dampening my event so I made some effort to roll over in hope I could reach the bedroom door without lifting too much body off the bed. Three inches shy of making the connection of the door with my hand. Three inches!! I start fanning the door with my hand in hopes of building up a strong enough wind that the door will miraculously catch the breeze and bring itself to a close locking out the world below. To no avail thus requiring me to ignore the noise and hope it would dispel soon.
I've now been awake long enough to realize that I could have simply gotten out of bed and closed the door. I could have also locked the door at that point providing myself with even more seclusion and peace. It's the out of bed part that gets risky though. If my kids were to catch me out of bed their expectations would have started leaving marks on the day and I then would not have been able to convince them that I was still asleep.
The only question I have this morning is, what IS the size of Theodore's butt and how come Isaak can remember every phrase from every movie he's ever seen but the alphabet still eludes him??