Monday, November 30, 2009

a couple of thinks

I tend to be a scripture wanderer. I like to jump around the chapters and wander through pages. This morning I decided to read a few chapters in Matthew. I'm thinking that with the upcoming holiday I might read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. I'm not making promises I'm just thinking.

Here's what caught my eye this morning. Please keep in mind this is not any revelation or knowledge from on high, just my thinks.

In Matthew Chapter 3 vs. 10-11 it reads
10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

I'm not sure that there is a big correlation in the two verses besides the fact they sit beside each other. As I read the words though it stuck out to me that fire is in both verses. This got me thinking -- is the fire spoken of somehow related?  Could it be that when verse 10 (and throughout other scripture passages) it says cast into fire it is possibly different than my original thinking? I saw this as if you do not bring forth good fruit (good works) it's over, you're done. Could it be that the fire is that of Lord bringing a person to change?
In the second verse it again speaks of fire. Could this be the same meaning -- bringing to change?

just a thought.

Then I continued reading and came across the account of Christ fasting for 40 days and nights. Satan comes to him and tempts him. I'm sure many of you have already figured out the vast knowledge to be gained in this account but something new sunk into the dark empty corridors of my brain.

Matthew Ch. 4 vs. 5-7
5. Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple.
6. And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall have his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thous shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

So my thinking here relates to continuing to question when answers are already known. I could be wrong but I think part of what Satan was trying to accomplish was for Christ to doubt what he already knew to be true. How often does Satan try to get me to doubt what I know is true? Let's just say it's a fight I work to win daily. Christ had received confirmation of his purpose on earth. He knew what was expected of him. Satan was working to create doubt in Christ.
In the song by Kenneth Cope I posted recently, it talks about who we are. I don't think I ever understood that Christ, when he was born did not know he was our Savior (could this be true?) He had to discover for himself his purpose, as must each of us. No pressure or anything but imagine if we don't strive to be what we were created to be? What if when we know what responsibilities Heavenly Father has trusted us with we turn in doubt? what if we allow Satan to tempt us and keep us asking about what we already know to be true?