Sunday, November 29, 2009

sunday smiles with a side of pumpkin pie

I smiled this week when I bought PUMPKIN pie for Thanksgiving. Prior to my pregnancy with Clayton I HATED pumpkin pie. I could think of few things more disgusting to digest. Clayton has opened up my eyes to many wonderful things in life; pumpkin pie included.

I smiled when I went grocery shopping this week for Thanksgiving because there were MANY people shopping for Thanksgiving and I instantly felt a camaraderie as we searched for the perfect turkey and fixings that would make our day magical.

I smiled when I texted my sister SO many times Kjel said to just call her. I didn't call her. I love the excitement of waiting to hear her reply and then bouncing my message back to her. Thanksgiving with family is wonderful.

I smiled when tender mercies arrived for me. I've been frustrated by comments of others about my "large" family. I get that I have five boys. Don't you worry I realize it every single minute of my life. I don't really need anyone pointing it out. Remember the old adage, if you haven't got something nice to say don't say anything at all. That's right... zip it. I love being a mom to five boys it's wonderful. While grocery shopping for Thanksgiving an elderly gentleman stopped me and loved on my baby. After a few comments of unbelief at how beautiful my son is he asked that question that I love to answer but hate to hear the reply back.
"How many children do you have?"
"Five boys."
"Five boys, how truly wonderful."
Tender Mercies from Heaven
He said.. How truly wonderful. He could have at that point walked away and said nothing more and my smile would have lasted for the rest of the week. He didn't walk away. The Lord must have wanted me to know for certain how truly wonderful five boys is.
This dear gentleman was tortured in the concentration camps. He said it was sick what they would do with babies. After he was freed from this hell he fought in the service and spent time as a prisoner of war. He loves our country and understands that the most important resource we have is our children. He related to me of how important my job is as a mother. He wanted me to specifically understand how necessary it is for these boys to grow into men.
I could have talked with him for hours. I really should have talked with him for hours. I should have invited him to meet for lunch sometime. I was truly uplifted as I stood in the cereal aisle at the grocery store.

I will SMILE all week and each time I grocery shop I will SMILE and look for this good man.

I smiled all of Wednesday night as I received text message updates from my sister about her trip from Houston to Wisconsin. I was giddy with excitement when upon reading each text she was closer and closer to me.

I smiled when Katrina, Jon, Kjel, Matthias, Clayton, Anthony, Nicholas, Isaak and myself sat at my dinner table eating Thanksgiving lunch/dinner. It was wonderful to have family to share the holiday with.

I smiled as Katrina and I wore our aprons from mom and cooked. I'll add pictures when I get them from Katrina.

I smiled while Katrina and I were black Friday shopping.

(this is not a picture of us on Black Friday. We actually went shopping with our hair pulled back and no makeup. But for pictures we decided we needed to put forth a little effort.)

I smiled when I saw this car in my driveway.
 


I smiled when Saturday morning I opened the fridge and saw a delicious slice of pumpkin pie. I was standing in front of the fridge with the door open caught up in my moment of childlike bliss when I heard Kjel's voice say, "eat it!" I smiled when I realized the guy I'm married to knows me SO well!

I smiled while I watched these cute kids play BYU football. They were definitely on the winning team this year.


I smiled when my kids gave hugs goodbye to my sister.



I smiled when Katrina had to use the bathroom just after we'd said our bye's and closed the door. ONE more hug.



I smiled when she left because I got to spend time with my wonderful sister and wonderful brother-in-law. I am truly spoiled.