Yesterday afternoon a small chunk of Kenosha prepared their son or daughter for their first Kindergarten production. It was with on the seat of their chairs excitement that they anticipated the exact moment when they would stand behind their camcorders and relish the becoming of their child. Sons and daughters in Christmas dresses, sweaters, suits and ties. Each hair perfectly positioned in place and if attached to a female head a sweet bow or wrap secured around the strands.
The gym was filled. Every nook and cranny held a parent dying to get a look at their star. Begging for an up close shot of their offspring.
Zoom in close and what do you see? A child in his grubby school pants and a wrinkled shirt. It had to be some mother's half attempt... right? Certainly, no mother would forget to give proper attention to an event of such significance?
I stood in amazement as this child bugged the children all around him. You could tell by watching him he was eager but nervous. The nerves seemed to portray themselves through hitting the child next to him or waving erratically at the audience. Obviously, a child needing some kind of attention at home! SO where was his mother?? sick, sick world.
Don't worry, I was there with Matthias. I watched the entire event unfold with a smile on my face. Inside I found a touch of embarrassment. How could I not have at least put him in his church clothes? I'm glad I asked him take off his Green Bay Packers shirt and then when he replaced it with a basketball shirt begged him to try something button down. I never considered nor did I have time to prepare for the black tie event.
I watched the Kindergarten and 1st grade classes perform with their faces lit with smiles. I wondered if there were parents watching the front and center ruffian and wondering where his mother was? I wondered if they looked upon him and thought negative because of the way he was dressed or the way he was acting? I didn't necessarily feel too badly because I thought of Adi's husband Peter and what he'd say about the evening. In fact I almost called him to confirm my suspicion that he'd tell me, 'no big deal.' If anything I only boosted others self esteem as they were able to spot the orphan and come to the conclusion of their proper mothering and then feel sorry for the little boy who deserves a good home.
STOP!!
Right now I'm guessing your thinking, 'you're a great mom, your kids are so sweet, really it's not like anyone was watching your child they were all focused on their own.' You are absolutely correct. I am a great mom (usually and when I'm not I try to fix it) My kids are sweet (in a salty can I wash that down with something sort of way) and certainly most people didn't even notice my kid (unless he hit their kid and then well....)
So why type this?? Here's my light bulb. Not a single person in that room knew what happened throughout my day or evening. No one had any idea what was thrown on my plate or required of my time. Interestingly enough I really did pull off a good evening for my son even though I dropped him off at the school to walk in alone (saw Joran as I dumped him and begged her to make sure he got to his class), then picked up Anthony from his violin lesson dropped him back off at home, drove back to school, pulled baby and I out of the car and headed in while talking on my phone trying to help a dear woman. My oldest three fortunately stayed at home. Where is hubby? He had gone straight from work to church meetings. And if you think I sat around all day....
STOP!!
This is not a poor pity LeShel post. I had a wonderful day where I saw the Lord's hands touching lives and lifting souls, mine included. I watched miracles take place and knew that God knew me and those I was with personally and was sending strength to each of us.
The evening was a joy and while I was present at the performance the thought powered into my heart how many times have I made a quick judgment based on what my eyes can see? Would I have looked with disgust on my face that a child would be neglected in such a manner? What parent would drop their Kindergartner off dressed in rags and then leave them to find their class alone? Have I looked at someone and made assumptions based upon the knowledge I seem to have created in my head? Have I judged situations and then withdrawn my love? I hate that the only true answer to this is... yes.
Just thinking it was a good lesson for me.
BTW: Isaak did a great job. At times he barely sang, at times his voice could be heard above the other children. He was wild and silly as he participated in the festivity. He waved like mad each time he saw Matthias and me. He smiled, he pushed the kid next to him (sorry), he played with the hat on his head when he was supposed to be sitting still. I think we passed the Kindergarten sing around with flying colors. Each of those children did a beautiful job!