Friday, January 08, 2010

FaithFul Fridays

It's time to put something else on my list of to do. Not really, it's just I've noticed that as I hold myself to a responsibility of posting I gain more knowledge and keep better track of insights that I've received. Also, as I've looked back through the past year of posts I've found my heart overjoyed with the little things that I had forgotten but will never be forgotten because they are written down.

In honor of keeping me sticking to gaining insight from the scriptures I am now officially knighting Friday as FaithFul Fridays. On Friday I will post little tidbits or gems that I've learned as I studied the scriptures during the week. As you read these please keep in mind that this is only my perspective. I am not in anyway suggesting that I understand the scriptures.

The last two weeks I've been rediscovering the Book of Mormon. For me a new year means starting at the beginning of the Book of Mormon.

1 Nephi 3:29-31
29 And it came to pass as they smote us with a rod, behold, an angel of the Lord came and stood before them, and he spake unto them, saying: Why do ye smite your younger brother with a rod? Know ye not that the Lord hath chosen him to be a ruler over you, and this because of your iniquities? Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands.
30 And after the angel had spoken unto us, he departed.
31 And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands? Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?

As I read this last verse I found it interesting that Laman and Lemuel wondered if it was possible for the Lord to deliver Laban into their hands. My thoughts on this are that because of their murmuring and unrighteousness the Lord cannot deliver Laban into their hands. As I apply this to myself the thought is that when I am righteous the Lord will give me responsibilities and the ability to do them.

1 Nephi 7:16-19
16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
17 But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.
18 And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.
19 And it came to pass that they were angry with me again, and sought to lay hands upon me; but behold, one of the daughters of Ishmael, yea, and also her mother, and one of the sons of Ishmael, did plead with my brethren, insomuch that they did soften their hearts; and they did cease striving to take away my life.

As I read these scripture verses a little light bulb appeared above my head. Paying close attention to verses 17 and 18 I thought about prayer and why we pray and why we MUST ASK the Lord. No doubt the Lord could see exactly what was happening to Nephi. No doubt the Lord knew of Nephi's righteousness and the necessity of Nephi fulfilling his responsibilities so that the word of God would move forward. And yet, Nephi was required to ask. Just as we are required to ask. I once spent several months studying personal prayer, looking for certain answers. My testimony was strengthened and these verses add to that testimony of our necessity of asking the Lord.

1 Nephi 12:21
21 And I saw them gathered together in multitudes; and I saw wars and rumors of wars among them; and in wars and rumors of wars I saw many generations pass away.

In this scripture I think about the definitions of rumor and war.
Rumor: gossip, hearsay
War: any active hostility or conflict.
These definitions bring it closer to home. How often is there gossip in my life? I do hope not at all but I must continue to better weed out gossip. Those small specks that get past my radar. Items that maybe are only whispered to myself that are still not necessary and only hurt. The definition of war brings it right to my house. How often is my house filled with active hostility or conflict? Oh, I should not answer that.
When I consider these things and then read the scripture I can only more deeply understand the personal affect that wars and rumors of wars will have on myself and my posterity.

One last one for this week. Interesting that while I was reading in 1 Nephi 14 I followed a footnote to revelations to gather some information about a passage. I then moved on to reading in 1 Nephi 15. In this chapter Nephi shares with his brothers his greater understanding concerning the things which their father had shared with them. His brethren had found themselves confused by the words of their father. They believed he had talked some sort of nonsense that could not be understood. Nephi had taken what Lehi had said and asked of the Lord for further understanding. Upon asking, the Lord revealed to Nephi and he came to understand what Lehi, his father, had spoken. As I read through this chapter my mind went back to what I had read in Revelations. Revelations is one of those books that is for me nonsensical and confusing. Well hello lady, maybe I could take what Nephi did and apply it? So, future reference for me is to read scripture and if I do not understand what I am reading I will ask the Lord to help me gain insight. I know it's kind of duh.
I also with this same thought came to an additional conclusion that this will take effort on my part. Effort is really hard sometimes. I must work on that.