My sister-in-law, Patricia, can often be heard making remarks about her world. This is the world that she will create when she gets the chance. I have found myself agreeing often times with the little tweaks to the current world we're in. I've also found myself in my mind creating my own world.
Last night I had the opportunity to attend the first musical ever done by our elementary school. Good times! They performed Honk Jr. It was fun to watch the kids giving their entire heart to the performance. They really did a great job.
I have a tendency to really get lost in a story. silly me even found myself at times starting to tear up because the mommy and her baby had been separated. As I was watching the musical this thought came to my mind...
When I have a world we're going to sing and dance when we're happy and when we're sad! Life will be doing its thing and then from the corner of the grocery store someone will find a good deal and we'll all break out in song about the sale on the cantaloupe while we dance through the aisles of groceries.
As we're driving home from a long day the car in front of us will slowly come to a pause and we'll recognize that they just found out that their great uncle broke his ankle and we'll get out of our cars and even though it's raining (of course it's raining, it just started) we'll circle around their car (they're on the hood) and hum softly as they do some oratory and then bust into a song and movement.
When I was studying at the University of Utah I remember sitting in the hallway and a girl from my major came running in with the greatest of joy and happiness. I sat idle and watched as she proclaimed the greatest excitement. I remember thinking to myself that's good news. Great job! I stayed on my butt and only stared out of the corner of my eye. Later the teacher took a minute in class (mind you this is a dance class so if you're envisioning us all sitting in desks and being all proper change your thinking) and said he was sad that not a single person relished with this girl and her joy. He said we should have come together and participated in her joyful moment.
I had all kinds of excuses as to why I didn't. I could even come up with excuses as to why others didn't. I didn't even know the girl.
Excuses they were. I should have jumped for joy because this human being was having a positive experience. I should have hugged her and smiled with her. I'm not always perfect at jumping in on other people's lives. Silly things inhibit me from truly doing what my heart wants me to do.
Just think, in my world we all know the right moves and the words to the song. We're connected with one another like that.