Monday, September 13, 2010

What did you do over the summer?

As school began each year I anxiously awaited the assignment to report on what I did during the summer. Not ONE time did a teacher request this important information from me. I saw this every time someone in a movie or on TV started school. TV again has let me down.

I no longer report to a teacher though so I thought this year I'd give myself the assignment. Those of you that regularly bore yourself by reading my page know most of what I did this summer. So I will refrain from repeats. For this assignment I want to specifically report on the family goals that we created at the beginning of summer and the end result.

Matthias tried hard to get us to understand what his goals were but we failed him. There was a significant language barrier. I do hope he was able to accomplish all he planned.

Isaak tasked himself with the goal of getting physically stronger. He wanted to be strong enough to ride his bike to Target. He spent the summer mowing the lawn and running around like a crazy kid. I also noticed that he increased the physical altercations with his brothers. I may next year need to direct his goals. He did make the ride to Target NO problem. I still remember the summer he and I rode our bikes to my mom's house. He cruised through that 6 miles.

Nic decided he wanted to end the summer with an original work of art. He spent some time in the basement drawing a large picture of outside. I'm not sure if it has been given final touches or beginning touches but it did steal a few moments from him.

Anthony felt it important to also be able to ride his bike to Target. I think this was a little simple of a goal but he's a smart one and knows that if you set your sights low you'll definitely walk away a winner. He also wanted to up the number of push-ups he could do... I'm not sure that happened.

Clayton wanted to be able to play 5 hymns perfectly. I really enjoyed listening to him practice and work toward this goal. It's amazing how calm a house can become as gospel songs are played. He certainly accomplished this and has even played some of the hymns in Priesthood.

Kjel wanted to learn some computer nerd language. I don't know if he even had time to think about it.

Me, well remember how I plagued myself with wanting to be able to run 3 miles? Oh yes, that silly goal. I missed the target. I can do 1 mile without stopping so I made progress. I'm not quitting on this one. I really want to run a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  As for that other goal that Clayton was certain could not be accomplished in one summer. HE. WAS. WRONG. Mark this moment because very rarely is Clayton wrong. I figured out who I am!
I quite often rely upon the labels that others give me to figure out my place and who I am. The final weeks of summer I came to the realization that I don't need a label from anyone to know who I am. I already know who I am.
I am a daughter of God. He loves me and I love him. This means I'm so many different things. I can't be categorized, labeled, or compartmentalized. I can do anything and I am capable of everything, just not all at once.


I think we had a great summer.