You know how in church sometimes they take about praying for humility? Well, I didn't pray for it. I didn't ask for constant opportunities to come swarming my way knocking me off at the knees. Seriously, I don't need any help in the department of knowing how stupid I am. I have that completely figured out. Why then lately am I getting all manner of stupid looking me in the face?
Let me share. Within the last week and a half I have locked my keys in the car, burned two holes in my carpet with my iron, and lost my debit card at the grocery store.
I shared with you my experience of keys locked in the car. So let's move to the next opportunity.
I had just settled in for some Christmas sewing when I was certain my machine was burning up. How could that be when it's brand new? Maybe, it's not my machine, maybe it's the heater in the house. It's not your standard beginning of the season smell but... oh wait the smell is gone. That is very strange. Sew, sew, sew. Hey, that smell is back. Where is it coming from? I stand up and move over to my sweet innocent son who is zooming the iron around the carpet. It's leaving nasty junk all over the carpet? What is coming out of my iron??
At this point I know you're thinking, 'Does this woman have a brain at all?' 'Remind me to NEVER leave my child in her care?'
The thing is the iron is not plugged in. So why would I think that it was burning my carpet? Upon closer inspection I realize that indeed it is burning my carpet. But, how?
Quick thinking brings forward the thought that obviously at some time for some time #5 had the iron plugged in. Hooray for a little boy that knows how to use electricity?
In the end, most importantly, Matthias is not burned at all. I am truly thankful for his safety. Our carpet, for now, is being covered and after Christmas some time we'll make a decision on what to do.
Thanks though especially to Kjel who when arriving home from work that night didn't yell or get frustrated or even show an ounce of anger toward me. He may have inwardly questioned if his children should be left at home with a certain adult but outwardly he showed patience. Thanks for faking it!!
Moving on to last night's escapade. As I walked into the grocery store last night I did a quick check to make sure I had my coupons, method of payment, list, reusable bags. All with me. I made my way through the list and filled my cart with items that will be gone in a week. I was so excited when I found a register with only one person in line so I pulled in behind and waited my turn. As the kind young woman began to ring up my groceries I got my coupons out and then went for my debit card. Not where I had placed it I began searching pockets and crevices and anywhere it could have gone. I turned to the checker and let her know to hold off for a minute because my card was missing. She kindly put my groceries aside and I did a quick sweep of the store hoping I would locate it. I next went up to customer service to give them my information in the off chance it was found by an honest and kind person. I ran home to get my check book. While picking up my check book I also found the number to report my card lost. I felt that things would be okay but when you're dealing with debit/credit cards and identity I knew I had to act fast to protect myself. As I drove back to the store I chatted with customer service at my bank letting them know the card was lost. When I got back inside the store and to my cart, customer service there came up to me. My card had been found and turned in. How could I be so lucky that an honest person found my card?
As I was leaving the grocery store all I could think was about my stupidity lately. I was wondering why I was running on less brain cells than usual and why I keep ending up in such ridiculous predicaments. Seriously, I am not this stupid. I'm stupid but not this stupid. Just now though the thought came to me that three times I was blessed with tender mercies. I am right now needing to see the Lord in my life. And He is there! Wow. There's a paradigm shift in my thinking.