Wednesday, September 14, 2011

middle school

This week has been wonderful but very busy. It's tough to balance all my usually household duties while being a learning coach to two boys. I love that I get to do this and I will do it again. I'm just tired from this week. It's kind of busy around here.

This year Anthony is learning Pre-Algebra. I can't tell you how glad I am that I took that class twice. So far Anthony has been able to make sense of most of the lessons but occasionally I've stepped in and been able to give him some further details to help him understand. It feels so nice to think I still remember a few things I learned in Math. Anthony is also spending time on grammar. I can thank Mrs. Lofgren for my understanding of grammar. It wasn't until my sophmore year in high school that I learned grammar. I'm talking about diagramming sentences and what a direct object is and a prepositional phrase. I recognize that I'm still significantly lacking in this area but I'm thankful for what I do know so I can help a little bit. Anthony is dedicated to completing assignments but he prefers to have people around him.

Clayton is breezing through everything. Sometimes this is good but sometimes I wish he'd sit down and analyze the information. Think about it, not just spew answers but think about what's going on. I think he needs a dose of smelling roses not just telling me its a rose. It's good that he's home to work on this because while I'm sure teachers in his past have commented on this, they don't have time to really expect it from him. They have so many other students to deal with and he did get the answer right so they let it slide. I'm way too mean to let this get by.