Sunday, May 20, 2012

simple smiles

I think some weeks are gifts. This week has been a reminder of the simple content smiles that are all around me. I'm thankful for these reminders and for the Lord blessing my life with these little gifts.

My boys working together on some dumb computer game. They were all smiling at the same time. I couldn't help but smile.

An evening watering the lawn and the little guy getting in on the action. He was so pleased to be getting wet. It wasn't warm enough to run through the sprinklers but he's number 5 and as parents we've slacked a little so he gets these awesome adventures.

I keep these two items hanging off my rear view mirror. I can't help but look at them and smile. They remind me of camping with my cousin and her family and hikes to Donut Falls and late nights around a campfire telling ghost stories and opening our hearts. Moments when time stopped and sat down and enjoyed the gift of living.

Kjel chasing Matthias down so we could bring him inside. Kjel laughed and giggled and I smiled and felt the magic.

I finished my sun puke quilt and shipped it off. I couldn't help but wrap this kiddo up inside but I did remove him before I shipped the quilt. I'm not a super quilter but I love creating. I'm learning to lower my expectations of the end result. I realize from these pics you can't see all the flaws. I guess it's like life. Sometimes we have to just back up and take it all in instead of picking apart the little pieces that could have been better.

I should have had someone with some camera know-how take some pics but well, you get what you get.

Last night the Young Men and Young Women in our ward did a talent show. It was fun to be there and see the many talents. I mostly just loved hearing Clayton play one of my favorite pieces by David Nevue, "The Gift."

Kjel's rhubarb plant is growing. We're going to be eating rhubarb pie very soon.

Kjel and I spent some time planting bulbs. I love digging in the dirt. I have no idea how to landscape or grow plants but I love being in the dirt. I love to feel my hands submersed in the coolness of the earth. It's seriously spiritual for me.

I just put some pics from my camera onto the computer. This is Nic the night of his concert. He's adorable. When he was little I would tuck him in bed at night and tell him, "You make my heart smile." I can literally feel my heart smiling.

Matthias is bound to be an artist. I love seeing kids covered in pen, marker, paint. I can't even ask him to stop because it makes me so happy to see him being a kid.

On Monday, Kjel and I found out that we're adding a daughter to our family. I downloaded some pics to my desktop and added the icon below. Seeing the icon brings flutters to my stomach. I can still only say, Wow.

My extended family is completely adjusted the idea of our family of boys welcoming a girl. I smiled as I opened boxes of little girl clothes that my mom purchase Monday afternoon and sent my way. I also smiled when my Sister (can I just drop the in-law) made some adjustments to this pic for me. Super cute.