Tuesday, July 24, 2012

59 scabs

Yup, I've picked and picked and itched and scratched until each little mosquito bite is covered in a nasty scab. Let's just say in my heart I'm stuck at around the age of 8. No growing up here. I'm a picker.

There's more to say about Nauvoo and even a few smiles from last week that need to be posted but for today I bring you an interlude that does not relate to either.

Today, Matthias found out my kisses are not magic. I'm a little heartbroken. The smile that usually feels the corners of my heart is pointed slightly downward.

Matthias woke this morning, his leg hurts. We've spent the entire day with his leg hurting. I'm not sure what's wrong but the symptoms are he's walking funny and he's also crawling around and telling me it hurts. I've witnessed no incident that would lead to pain so I started to worry a little. I scheduled a doc appointment and doc ran the usual touch, feel, look tests and then sent me on my way telling me he's fine. Just give him some Ibuprofen and move along. I've spent today thankful that everything is fine but also still a little concerned that my active 3 year old is walking odd and even at times falling. So, whatever. But here's where the heart starts to weaken...

When his leg started hurting him he came right to me. "Mommy, kiss it better. It hurts, kiss better." He pointed to his knee and I bent over and gently kissed. Matthias is the only child of mine that's ever done the, 'kiss it better' thing. My others have never believed that a kiss from mom could cure any ailment. I'm honored that each time he gets hurt he comes to me and upon my tender kiss his injury is solved. I've felt so special to be the one chosen to possess this magic power. Today, however, my kiss did not work. He asked again, "Momma, please kiss it better." I kissed... I failed.

I guess he had to figure this out someday?