Monday, July 16, 2012

59 mosquito bites

This morning my mom sent me a text. She had counted how many mosquito bites she received during our family reunion. I was certain her 35 bites would have anyone beat. I was wrong! I have at least 59. I guess I'm the winner?

Although, I am blessed with itchy bites covering my legs and hands this doesn't for one second put a damper on our amazing family reunion in Nauvoo, IL.

Upon arrival it was discovered that my hair-do was just not up to par for this fine event as I was attending. My niece, Carsen, got right to work. She was nice enough to fix my "do" nearly every morning. I love that she has such up and coming style.

I quickly handed my camera over to my niece. I've been rather lame at picture taking lately and she was eager to get all the best shots so I thanked her for her help and sent her on her way. Every one in the family is sharing their pictures so I'll be dumping more pics and stories as I gather more pictures. For now, this is what I've got that isn't too modern and Picasso. Just so you know I'll be saving every picture my niece took. It's fun and it makes me smile to see the world through her eyes.

Speaking of my photographer I think you should get a look at this cutie pie!
Here are her toes. I have a couple up close and personal shots of these piggies.

a self-portrait

i took this one because the dirt on her arm solidified for me that this trip ROCKED!

Day two we did a little handcart trek. It was tons of fun. Myself and several from the group wanted to go the entire 3 miles. In the end we did a mile because our time was short. One day I'll go back and force my kids the 3 miles. I will say my body was tired by the end of that day. I ended up going to bed early and sending my oldest two with my sisters to see the Pageant.







The girls found this "pig nose." It of course was picture worthy. I'm glad they've etched this into our memories forever. I think this is actually a walnut shell but from here forward I will forever call it a pig nose.

Our drive to Nauvoo was simple. The GPS guided us perfectly. There was very little contention. Thankfully, a little contention or I would have ended up bored, I'm sure. We played music WAY TOO LOUD and sang and danced and chatted and laughed. The hours flew past and before we knew it we had arrived and joined the entire family.

We stayed in a cabin at Camp Nauvoo for the first three nights and then the final night was spent tenting. It was great accommodations. I think what worked best was that most of our time was spent at the house my family had rented. We really only went back to our place to sleep and shower. And also be on the playground. The playground there had to be my absolute favorite. Matthias played each night before bed and woke each morning begging to play. He would play outside with his brothers while I showered and dressed and cleaned things up. It was magic to hear them right outside the door playing and having fun while I got ready. Priceless. It felt like simpler times. I love simple moments.

Day One I sent Clayton and Anthony with my brother, his wife, their son and my Dad to do baptisms for the dead at the Nauvoo temple. I'm grateful they were able to be there with family. It was a good experience for them. I'm sure they'll forever remember the moment.
Later that evening some of us decided to take a walk. It was relaxing to work our way through the small town. There were cooler temperatures than what we'd been used to in our different states so we were all thinking we were spoiled. I don't very often get to take walks with my sisters. It was fun to have the three of us pushing our strollers through town and chatting.

That first night we rested well. Matthias fell out of bed twice. I felt bad that he hit cement flooring and soon came up with a better idea for the next few nights. It was nice to pray with my boys that night before we settled into rest. I love that I've got these strong men with me everywhere I go.