This year we planted a few vegetables. I thoroughly enjoyed tending to our garden. I loved every moment I spent outside with my hands in the dirt. Today, I diced some of our tomato's (we planted late, so we're harvesting late) and we enjoyed them with dinner.
A few nights ago, I realized we were going to have our first below zero night so I ran outside in the dark and picked the last of our tomato's. I loved the smell of the vine and the feel of the round red and green flesh. I loved that when I finished picking all the tomato's I had a very large grocery bag filled. I'm now waiting for the greens to ripen and then I will take what's left and attempt to bottle some pizza sauce. In the meantime we've enjoyed salsa and tomato soup, sliced tomato's on our sandwiches and I've even crushed the tomato's and added them to sauces.
I cannot begin to describe how fulfilling this is for to me. I can't decide if my favorite part is my hands in the dirt, the pruning, the weeding, the harvesting, or the eating what we've grown? It all speaks to my soul.