Saturday, September 20, 2014

you won't smell broccoli on this breath

I made cookies for dinner. I realize that's not the most healthy option for a meal, but (fill in whatever excuse suits your needs), so I made cookies. Most of the kids had something in addition to the cookies. Their mother probably didn't.

On Friday I went grocery shopping. It's my usual shopping day but this time I happened upon a most beautiful woman. She was probably in her 70's or 80's? I'm just guessing but she was rather old and was bent over her grocery cart. She saw me in the store with Markus wrapped in the sling while we shopped. She commented that it would have been nice to have one of those when she was raising her 10 children. YUP! 10 kids. I had to stop and talk with her. We chatted. She made sure I understood that they were not Catholic they just liked getting it on. This woman had some serious spunk. She let me know that her doctor says to eat whatever you want because we're all going to die anyway. Then she said, "You won't smell any broccoli on my breath," and gave me a good exhale. We only spoke for a few minutes but I walked away feeling so happy. This spunky woman made my day. I should have asked her for her name and maybe her number so I could call her for a daily dose of goodness.

Matthias is really starting to spend a lot of time writing. Here is a grocery list he made for me.

Anna was spoiled and got to spend sometime with Clayton reading to her. If you would have asked me last year if I'd miss Clayton when he went off to college I'd have told you, 'bring it on!' I will say though, if he does go away, I'm really going to miss him. He's just a really great guy.

I saw a bumper sticker that I really like. "War doesn't decide who's right, only who's left." I've found that I am more and more on the side of war as wrong. I recognize that I sit in my safe little bubble while others offer up their life in sacrifice. I appreciate, at least as much as I can while being in the dark, their many sacrifices. I just think there should be a better way. Too many people are dying.

My dear friend is in the hospital and will be for a few more weeks. I've chatted with her a few times and will continue to call and speak with her. I met her years and years ago. I will forever be thankful that she became a piece of my life. I love Sis. Jill. Someday I should sit down and write an entire post about this wonderful woman.

All's good here, except when it isn't and then we try really hard to put on our big girl pants and get done what needs to be done. I'm beyond blessed. I'm unbelievably grateful for the blessings. Sometimes I find myself thinking I just don't have an adequate way to truly say thanks. Going to just keep working on it.