Thursday, January 28, 2016

we're going to make it

Yesterday, Anna and I were digging back through past posts and looking at pictures of her as a baby. It was fun to see her light up as she saw pictures of herself. We even watched a few videos of her that are posted on here. My focus has been in other places lately so I haven't posted as much as I now wish I would have.

When I read past posts I see joy, experiences, happiness, trials, moments of goodness and an underlying theme of loving being a family. Sometimes, the day in day out doesn't show this or at least, I don't recognize this.

2016 brought with it a list of goals for me. I used a print off from Ann Voskamp's blog, aholyexperience.com, to decide what I wanted to work on this year.

I finished my list and felt sure that I could conquer what I had set forth. Then, life hit and within a few days I was certain there was no way I could accomplish any of it. Ugh!! I just felt terrible. Don't you just love how I can't settle in the middle anywhere. I'm all or nothing. I've got this or I don't. Anyhow, I stopped looking at it for a couple days and got really down on myself. Anyhow, this last week I had the opportunity (I believe it was divinely given to me) to really put one of my goals to the test. It was tough but not a deal breaker. Baby steps, itty-bitty baby steps.

The kids are up to awesome.

Clayton made the Presidents list at UA. I guess crazy grades will do that. His summer internship in San Antonio, looks like it's going to happen. My heart is super unbelievably excited for him and breaking just a little bit because he won't be home. It's good, it's just.....

Anthony kicked butt on some standardized tests and now he's finally interested in looking at schools. He wants to live close to home but not at home. He's also started seriously looking for a job. He's got needs you know. Things like a new phone and guitars and amps.

Nic is now officially a brace face! He's handled the pain in stride. When he climbed in the car after his appointment I looked at him and realized that he's growing up. I remember when the older two got their braces on and now they're off and the braces are off too.

Isaak is dying as he waits for spring. He and I are both eager for the temps to warm up and for us to be back outside. It's going to happen. Every day is one day closer. We spend way too much time inside staring at screens. I hate that we're not winter people but I also don't want to be winter people, it's cold out there!

Matthias learned how to zip up his coat. It's a great skill for a 6 year old. I had never sat down and taught him. I just kept doing it for him and then one day I realized, um, he's 6, maybe he could do this himself? So, I finally taught him. He's now got that skill down! He's learning to read. Repeating Kindergarten was the right decision for this dude.

Anna and I are working toward using the potty full time. I know she can do this but I just hate the process and thus I've postponed and postponed and postponed. If only it was as simple as teaching a kid to zip up their coat. Anyhow, we're working at it slowly, simply because I can't just sit at home with her and focus all our attention in this area. She'll conquer this.

and then there's Marky. His smile pulls me in and wraps every fiber of my being around his heart. It was a tough first year. Not because of him but because of me. I'm glad to be beyond the mend and feeling good. Marky is a gift from God it just took me some time to settle into being a mom of 6. Wait, I just counted again, there's 7.


The snow outside is frozen and made for a great ice rink. Go Isaak, great imagination. These pictures were taken from inside the house where it's warm and not cold!


Christmas was lovely and deserves its own post. Until I get around to that here's my kiddo's on Christmas Eve at my sisters home playing the candy guessing game.


And here is the tree Christmas morning.


Sometimes, we get to dog sit. I like having a four legged friend come and visit. It's the best of both worlds.

This is Anna's first self portrait.

My sister gave me this towel and a box of sunshine back when it was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Markus. I love to pull this out and use it and think of the sweet woman and her daughters.

Grandma Martha made minion hats for the littles and they look adorable!

At my prayer group the mom whose home we meet at has these super cute little guitars that my littles love to play.


We made brownies which means one must lick the beaters.


Here he is, my newest brace face.

Anna got her hair cut.


Nic at a church dance. The girl he's dancing with is super lovely I just boxed out her face because I didn't ask permission to stick her on my blog.