Wednesday, March 30, 2016

what did you do over spring break?

Please, I'm begging all the teachers of my children to not ask this question! I'm on my knees pleading with you. Just let the kids come back and jump into the curriculum you've worked so hard writing. If you must know I'll spell it out. Everything you've worked on all year long, yes, all that stuff..... we've undone all your hard work. The kids are regressing and quickly! Maybe you'd like me to send them back early?

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. I had big plans. Matthias and I were going to read and practice math facts and the older kids well, let's be honest I probably would have left them to their volition. So, while the guilt of them is ringing through my head the real problem is that Matthias has played video games, every day, all day. He's mastered Mario Kart Wii and has significantly increased his skills in Minecraft. He's dabbled in other games also but let's just say he's addicted to the screen. I recognize this is a problem and hope to remedy it before I send him to school on Monday.

Let me make excuses. I have some. I decided to potty train Anna because I had a few less places to run. So I've been cleaning up a lot of poop and pee. Starting last Friday Anna's body let some germ take over and she's been sick so I've been tending to her. Also, Marky wanted in on that loving action so he's been ill since Saturday. I've snuggled a lot. So much that my chores have piled up and left messes of all manner. Today, I'm taking Marky to the doc because he's not breathing so well.  I've looked at what I've been busy doing and realize that I could have possibly fit in some form of interaction with my dear Matthias, beyond changing the remote batteries. If it's any consolation his older brothers have interacted with him. I've listened to them smack talk him while they race against him. Um... forget I mentioned that.

I won't be looking you in the eye Monday morning because I certainly don't want you to see into my soul and "tsk" at me. You've been an amazing teacher and I owe you better. Deepest apologies.

PS: We had french fries for dinner last night.