Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my little sis; i'm a genius because of you!

This morning I'm thinking about my little sis. The one that drove me nuts. Wait, I should be more specific, my youngest one, Katrina. I am so proud of her and what she is accomplishing. The reason for this post is to share with you the recent upgrade in my intelligence simply by result of being related to this fine young woman.
Last night I received a call from Kat. She was freaking out on the other end and immediately I knew that she had gotten the job. She has been working toward this job for some time now. The competition is fierce and after many interviews and hoops, she's spent the last few weeks wondering what she'd find out yesterday. Would she be chosen or would she be passed?
My sister is the one of the newest candidates that's been chosen to work for Teach for America. She will start work next summer with several weeks of training and then will begin work in an elementary school in Houston, Texas. Last night Kjel and I discussed how "close" I am to Houston. I kept telling him it's right underneath us. I can get to Amy's house in a day and she's nowhere near underneath us. His simple mind was unable to grasp the concept.
So back to bragging about the genius that runs in my bloodline. Katrina will be graduating this year from Utah State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics a Bachelor of Arts in Management and Human Resources and a minor in International Business. WOW! Does she sound smart or what? Don't forget I'm related!! Katrina took 18 months off her education and served a mission in Quito, Ecuador. (I think that's just underneath me too) While in Quito she not only taught the people about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but she also served the people. She is a beautiful person and today I'm thinking about all those years we grew up together and the time we've spent together as adults. I'm wondering how a pesky kid sister is now making such a difference in the world, I'm thinking about how great it is to watch her grow, I'm hoping she'll accomplish everything her heart desires, I'm wondering if she'll find herself scared as she takes on this responsibility, I'm trying to grasp the idea of being 25 ( I guess she's actually 23, my bad) and having a degree and this great job, I'm glad that Katrina is using her skills and knowledge to bless children and help them gain an education. Go Katrina! My family sends you hugs and kisses and strength as you prepare yourself for the next step. We also send you hugs and kisses and strength as you take those final tests in your last classes.