In what city did Bill Cosby get his start in comedy?
What book won Alice Walker the Pulitzer Prize?
Madame CJ Walker was orphaned at what age?
What year did Lee Elder play in the Masters Tournament?
What did Matthew Henson place at the North Pole?
Just an example of some of the questions asked at today's Black History Bee.
Out of 200 kids 20 made it to the school final. From that 20, one went on to the District Bee.
Before the event started I could feel my stomach flopping. I was so nervous. I kept trying to figure out why I was nervous. I get that my kid was in the competition but I really only wanted him to do his best. No pressure here. Thinking about it now I think I was worried about his reaction. How would it go for him?
In round one the entire group made it through. It was great to watch these 20 kids so well prepared and ready for this moment in their life. It's not one of those make it or break it kind of things but you could see from each of the students' faces that they were filled with anticipation and nerves.
This was stiff competition and each time one of the kids was up I held my breath. I really wanted it to be a 20 way tie.
Clayton made it all the way to round 5 and then hit a question that caught him off guard.
"A former US Senator of IL?"
This should have been easy but even though we studied his daughters names, the Universities he graduated from and his current achievement of US President, in all the jumble of 49 other biographies to learn we didn't catch this absolutely key moment.
Clayton smiled left the 7 kids still competing. and went to get his HUGE chocolate bar and pin from the mediator. The crowd clapped and Isaak and I cheered.
The competition continued for 8 rounds total and in the end the girl who won was just phenomenal. She was so happy she even cried. I was so glad that she was able to move forward.
On Friday she'll be going up against the rest of the winners from the district. I know she'll do well. Clayton gets to skip school and watch the event. I can't wait to hear about him cheering her on. HOORAY for a wonderful day.