There's these moments in life that you wish you could burn into your brain. I'm writing this down because in just a few months I'll forget the moment.
Last week Clayton came running out to the van with a piece of vibrant yellow paper and a smile the size of Lake Michigan. I could only stare at his smile and let the moment begin. Throwing the door open and beginning to share his moment of ecstasy I was caught in complete surprise. He popped the paper in front of my face. I tried my best to skim it as he began telling me what all this meant.
"I'm one of 20 kids in the 4th and 5th grade that gets to be in the Black History Bee."
Here's me.... huh, a what??
He of course kindly repeated with even more excitement.
I was finally able to put it together. We had spent the week studying for a Black History test. I had no idea that from that test they'd be taking the top 20 scores and the kids would be competing for a chance to move onto the district level.
Let's go back....
Did I mention the smile on his face?? My boy, my serious boy SMILES. Oh the happiness flowing through my body. He smiles!!
Today is the big moment. We spent the weekend studying like mad. He's memorized so many details about 50 great black Americans. It's wonderful to watch him so happy to participate in studying and memorizing and looking forward to this moment.
We talked about being a good loser and a good winner. We talked about how it's about doing your best and nothing more. We talked about how fun it has been to study together. We talked about his nerves of the kids at school watching him at the contest. We talked about how he wanted to be certain that I was there.
He left this morning with all his note cards, a smile and the feeling that life was good because he was part of it (life).
I'll let you know the results of the competition later this evening.