Monday, March 30, 2009

Step 6: Change of Heart

Alas, it's a process that takes time and I consistently must rinse and repeat. But this next step helps me to get my grounding and gain an understanding of those who can stand and say.... "Lord, I will come."

Step 6 bits of knowledge:

"As time passed, though, we noticed that abstinence seemed to make our character weaknesses more visible, especially to ourselves. We tried to control our
negative thoughts and feelings, but they continued to reappear, haunting us and threatening our new lives of abstinence and Church activity. Those who understood the spiritual implications of recovery urged us to recognize that while all the outward changes in our lives
were wonderful, the Lord wanted to bless us even more. Our friends helped us see that if we wanted not only to avoid our addictions but actually lose the desire to return to them, we had to experience a change of heart. This change of heart or desire is the purpose of step 6." (Addiction Recovery Manual, pg 35, paragraph 3)

recognizing character weaknesses does not mean you are ready to give them up.. you still cling to old ways of reacting to and coping with stresses in life.

you still harbor a prideful desire to change without the help of God.

check this out:
As you come unto Jesus Christ, seeking help...... he will wait patiently for you to weary of your own unaided effort to change, and as soon as you turn to Him you will witness once again His love and power in your behalf.

You are not beyond His power to heal.

He wants to make the Atonement effective in your life, here and now.

Look to the Savior for salvation, not only from addiction but from character weaknesses (and to think this isn't just about drugs, alcohol and rock and roll)

In one who is really wholly converted, desire for things contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ has actually died.


I've been reading in the scriptures about King Benjamin and his people. Those of you in my ward also reading have just come to an understanding of how truly far behind I am. I realize I should be somewhere in Alma but a few weeks ago I got all rutted in a spot and stopped reading. It makes sense that when I get a little busy I'd drop the thing that keeps me holding it all together. It just like the several evenings I've spent eating bowls (yes plural) of ice cream. I know it's not working but..... see the weakness.
So these people are hearing their King. They've come prepared to listen to their King and the are soaking up each word shared. They are filled with the Spirit of God and turn to repentance and then arise and shine forth as they have a mighty change of heart and no longer have a disposition to do evil but to do good continually.

I have questions to answer and answers to find. I will be thinking about a mighty change of heart and being able to arise and shine forth and instead of shouting... "Lord, I think I can come." I hope to one day shout "Lord, I will come."