Tuesday, September 01, 2009

4 boys ready 4 school

A few months back my sweet niece had a momentous day and my sister created a post where her little one shared with us the momentous day.

This morning was a momentous day. Four boys traipsed off to school. Isaak started Kindergarten (all day long Kindergarten), Nic is now in 2nd grade, Anthony has joined the ranks of rulers of the school as a 5th grader and Clayton is a sapling preparing for a stomping as he begins middle school as a 6th grader.

I expected I would cry. I was certain I would be ever so sad, and last night I was sad. I watched kids make lunches and prepare backpacks and decide what clothes they would wear. As I prayed with Isaak I reminisced on all the wonderful times we've spent together. All the magical moments of just he and I. I went to bed with feelings of anticipation and sadness. I tossed with dreams of their first day. I was sick about Clayton getting lost or his locker combo not working. I was worried about Anthony and his job as a safety patrol on the playground. Would Nic feel comfortable with his surroundings? Would Isaak, my sweet baby, not a baby, be okay?

I took the obligatory pictures of the first day with sadness as they were not in school uniforms, somehow just not the same.










I showed my strength and let Anthony, Nic and Isaak ride their bikes to school.




No, I really don't need to walk you, of course not. Off they go. I then load up Clayton and Matthias for the ride to Middle School. Sure, just hop out of the van as if you're completely prepared and this is no big deal. Did I cry? No. I was prepared to cry, but no tears. Only feelings of, yes that's where you are supposed to be. Love you... grow up and be what you are.

After Middle School drop off I drove over to the Elementary school. I wanted to see my sweet kids lined up and ready to start their new experience. The swarms of adults made for viewing of short ones impossible. I sat in the parking lot for some time and then realized that the day was going on with or without me. So I put the van in drive and moved forward. Interesting choice of words... moved forward.

At home I tucked Matthias in bed for his morning nap.

silence swarms me but my thoughts are peace.


Here's a pic of the leftovers.


My dear neighbor just called me and fortunate for Isaak she was there. He got a little nervous and she came and rescued him. She helped him find his teacher and where to line up. Middle brother had been given the assignment but my guess is the excitement of the day brought forgetfulness and Isaak got left by the wayside. Poor guy, his mom should have been there. Thanks Cara for being a responsible mom and helping my sweet angel!