The thought that sticks with me most is that of when I was reading about King Benjamin. His people are gathering around in absolute eagerness to hear what he will share. As I read my first thought was, how would it be to gather around a great man and have him share truth? And then instantly I thought about the fact that twice a year I have the opportunity to gather my family around and listen to truth. I do believe that King Benjamin held the first General Conference.
I love how the people came so prepared to listen. I must be certain to prepare myself in such a manner.
Mosiah 4:18
But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
If I do not repent than I am not interested in God. Strong words... pride swallowing words.
oh oh I love this one
Mosiah 4:26
... I would that ye should impart of your substance tot he poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
It is the word want not the word need. Makes me think.
Mosiah 3:6-8
6 And he shall cast out devils or the evil spirits which dwell in the hearts of the children of men.
7 And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.
8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.
While I was attending 12 step meetings I had the opportunity to go to a 12 step/ARP fireside. My life was forever touched by a beautiful woman sitting in the front corner of the chapel. The final hymn sung that evening was I Stand all Amazed. This beautiful woman who was blind stood with such might that I could only find myself humbled in her presence. There she was at the front of the chapel... standing as she sang praises unto the Lord. Ever since that moment whenever I hear the song I find myself wanting to stand with the same confidence she did and sing praises to the Lord. (i'm a bit gutless)
Mosiah 2:9
... and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand...
I hear with my ears and understand with my heart. Some things are understood with my mind but I must remember that there are others that are understood with my heart.
Another bit from King Benjamin. Mosiah 2:3
And they also took of the firstlings of their flocks, that they might offer sacrifice and burnt offerings according to the law of Moses.
They came prepared. They were ready to worship.
As I read the Book of Omni I kept wondering in what ways am I like Omni, Amaron, Chemish, Abinadom, Amaleki?
When I was working with primary children I spent a lot of time talking to them about Enos. I really love Enos. I love that he prays and asks for understanding. He hungers and thirsts after God. The entire book (1 chapter) energizes me. I especially love these words from verse 27,
And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer, for I know that in him I shall rest.
I realize that Enos is talking about death. When I read this though I think of rest.
What is rest? Oh do tell us Webster...
rest
the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
relief or freedom, esp. from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.
a supporting device; support.
to refresh oneself, as by sleeping, lying down, or relaxing.to relieve weariness by cessation of exertion or labor.
to be at ease; have tranquillity or peace.
to be quiet or still.
to cease from motion, come to rest; stop.
to lie, sit, lean, or be set: His arm rested on the table.
to rely
to be based or founded
to be fixed or directed on something, as the eyes, a gaze, etc.
Just think about rest considering these definitions. Changes it entirely. Now you know why I love Webster. (if i were to have a 6th child i should name him Webster)
Hooray for Friday... my favorite day of the week.