Saturday, July 24, 2010

the rest of the story aka get some popcorn and a comfy seat this is going to be a long ride!

I said I'd be back this week and seeing how the week is almost over, it might be a good idea to post now. I would have posted sooner but computer time in the summer has proven to be tricky. While the kids do each have a time allowance there are still four kids and thus it leaves me with the raw end of the deal. That, and when I do sit down summertime calls me and says, 'I'm bored, let's do something fun.'

Our vacation was wonderfully long and not long enough. I think the best way to approach this would be to break it down by day.

So I spent the morning of the 23rd packing us up to sit in the van for too many hours. I was eager with anticipation and ready to get on the road. I could hardly believe that in 24 hours I would arrive in Utah. While I'm sure you'd love to see video of the entire drive I only have a few pics.

I took other pictures but they got deleted because I wasn't really trying to take pictures I was just trying to waste time.

I tortured everyone in Utah from the minute we left Wisconsin. Anyone lucky enough to get text messages was given updates throughout the trip. Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, UTAH!!
We did the trip straight through... kind of. We did take a two hour sleep break in some parking lot. I laughed when we woke up and the windows were completely fogged up. 
The kids actually did rather well on the trip. They seemed to get by with a few movies, books, crayons, and mom singing dumb songs.


You can imagine the families  joy when we finally saw this...
I took this picture through our windshield while we were driving. Oh what joy to see these mountains.


Our first stop was at my mom's. She was blessed to get text messages that included... just saw the temple, Bingham High School, Your DRIVEWAY!!

When we pulled in I was seriously exhausted and for some reason I stunk something fierce. It felt great to unload the van and dump everything in mom's house. Poor woman, her beautiful home was quickly filled with smelly boy stuff.  We arrived earlier in the day than we had planned but I didn't take many pictures that day because seriously I was exhausted.  A surprise visit from my Grandpa Cecil and Aunt Leila brought me big smiles. I wasn't expecting to see them so early in the trip. Lucky me.
I needed to do some shopping for our camping trip the next day so I slipped out of the house and picked up Adi. We had a blast at Wal-Mart. Who knew that place could be so much fun.
Upon arriving back at home I could see that sleeping arrangements were being worked out.
I love that my two oldest could have picked anywhere in the house to sleep but decided they were sleeping on Grandma and Grandpa's bedroom floor.

Our first real day started with me packing everything up and making a few quick visits before heading to the mountains. I have NO pictures of the mountains because I forgot my camera. When I get some pics I'll post them and tell you all about our wonderful camping trip. I've got a story and a video about marshmallows that will crack you up til you pee your pants.


Back at mom's Saturday morning to a surprise.

Katrina and Jon were not supposed to arrive until the day we left.I was crossing my fingers that we'd get to spend a few hours with them. I was SO happy. I'm sure you couldn't tell.

After a crazy quick shower I headed over to Julia's baptism. How lucky am I to get to be at the baptism of this sweet little girl. 

My favorite part was watching her father baptize her. It must be a truly magical moment to lovingly help your daughter into the font filled with water and then pronounce this sacred ordinance. I was in tears. It was so very touching. I seriously thought for a moment that Kjel and I should try for a girl. interesting thought.....

That night was a BBQ with the family. Check out cutie lovin the watermelon that Uncle Wyatt picked out.
I must say my favorite part of the entire trip was watching the kids play together. I loved seeing my kids playing with cousins.
creamies are a definite need when visiting Utah.

Sunday morning started with a trip to American Fork. Kjel and I with Clayton went to see my Grandfather so Clayton could have him give him his patriarchal blessing.
I think they look rather handsome together.

Sunday night was a trip to see Uncle Erik and Aunt Patricia. We have missed Kjel's brother SO SO much. The kids had a great time together. Trish and I chatted about everything. Erik and Kjel did their usual. I have no idea what they did but they looked like they were having a good time.

Monday was a day of play, chat and recuperation. That night some cute girls and their dad flew into town.
A trip to the airport to pick people up was a great way to wrap up the night. How spoiled am I. All the family in one place!! SO spoiled.

Something I don't see at my house is little girl shoes.  My boys leave their shoes laying around for me trip over and it's nowhere near as cute as finding these.

Each time I saw them I couldn't help but smile!

Tuesday morning Clayton and Uncle Mike got up and went to the Temple to do baptisms for the dead. It was wonderful that Clayton's Uncle could take him. I'm glad they were able to go together.

Wednesday we got moving and were headed up Mount Timpanogos to see the caves. We ditched the baby and brought Uncle Mike and Macie with us. I personally LOVE hiking. It seems my boys may not feel the same way. Mike and I pulled them the entire way up. Constantly begging, constantly promising stops if they go just a little further.

The cave was beautiful and I found myself basking in the joy of sharing such beauty with my sons. We have a family tie to the cave so I felt like I was sharing some genealogy with them.

To kill time on the way up and to keep the kids moving Mike came up with the idea of each of the kids doing a funky dance when they hit the trail marker that was their age.  Here's a sample of funky dances.




On the way home, well not really on the way home but out of the way home we stopped at Krispy Kreme. I love watching the donuts being made. Sometimes I envision myself on the conveyor belt working my way through the waterfall of deliciousness as I open my mouth and catch the pouring stream of sugar. Mmmm.... I come back to reality when I see the donuts dunked in hot oil. bummer!
You can see that our trip was worth it because any time you can exhaust kids so they fall asleep on the way home you know you've done something wonderful.

With Katrina's early arrival a last minute baby shower was definitely necessary. We had planned to do the shower outside but last minute due to weather and it not cooperating we moved the shower into mom's house. Stacie came up with this idea of a clothesline filled with baby clothes. I think it would have been cuter outside but seriously it was still so cute inside.


While we were in Utah, Uncle Mike turned OLD. Whenever someone turns old you must throw a party. I wanted in on making the cake. These cuties helped me. Of course, if you're going to make a cake you have to taste the batter.  One taste is never enough so I had these four cuties take a couple swipes to make sure the birthday boy would love it.
If you're going to have a birthday cake you also need Ice Cream. I've been wanting homemade Ice Cream ever since summer set in. I'm such a liar. I've been dreaming about homemade ice cream ever since I ate the final spoonful of the last batch.

Saturday morning the adults in the family decided to do a temple session together. After some run around we finally ended up at the Daybreak Temple doing initiatory. The temple is beautiful. To my surprise one of the ladies helping me was Nic's Kindergarten teacher. I nearly tipped her over as I came in for a hug. Kenosha has turned me into a huggy person. If I see you and I know you you get a hug. I'm creepy like that now.  It was SO exciting to see this beautiful woman and have a moment of NPA. 
Saturday night we met up for some serious Karaoke! Too much FUN!

Sunday night Uncle Wyatt invited us to join his family and feed some ducks. Check out that nasty shirt on Uncle Mike. He was celebrating the 4th of July. It hurt my eyes every time I saw it.
Watching my niece, Marie and Matthias get to know each other was a great piece of our trip.

Monday night was girls night; super fun. The boys all disappeared and hit some balls at the batting cages. Us girls prettied ourselves up and watched videos of the girls dance recitals. I like being with these ladies. Carsen worked some magic with her makeup. I've never seen such inventive style. 
You have to love this picture of Carissa Joy. This pose looks so familiar to me. I think from some movie I watched.

I like this picture because it was taken by Carsen.

Tuesday provided Anthony with the opportunity to spend some time with his friend Jared. They spent the entire day together. I wish they could have had more time.

Tuesday was another girls night for me. Spending time with these ladies and knowing how thankful I for friends made for a great night. We started the evening at Johnny Carino's. We then did some exercise as we walked through stores looking for great deals. The evening ended with some food from In N Out burger. Food + Friends = Fun. Okay, seriously  Friends = Fun.

After girls night we headed back to Adi's house and spent the night sleeping outside. The kids slept on the trampoline and Adi and I pulled up cushions on the back patio. I love sleeping outside. I don't do it in WI much because the mosquito's eat you throughout the night. I really love outside without mosquito's.

I love when I find this guy sacked out. He'd spent most of the trip sick and just yucky. Poor guy really had a rough time. He was a trooper though and held out as long as possible.

Wednesday morning we got moving and I dropped Isaak off at his buddies house. Matthew is the coolest kid in our old neighborhood. Seriously he and Isaak spent each and every day together. I loved that Matthew would just walk inside our house without knocking. I loved that there was a permanent trail adjoining our homes. These two boys were meant to be together!

After dropping off Isaak I headed over to one of my friends homes. I miss Sister Jill. She's a beautiful woman that made sense to my soul. I attempted to call her and didn't have the number right. I decided I'd just show up. I didn't get to see her but seeing her car brought me smiles. Love you Sister Jill.

This is just a random shot of Matthias feeding Grandma an apple. I think I clicked it because he was actually smiling and because it was fun to see him with his Grandma.

Wednesday afternoon Katrina got on a plane and flew home. Saying goodbye is no fun so I said, 'See you later.' I'm planning on flying out when she has her son.


For lunch Adi and I hit our favorite spot. Carls Jr, Green Burrito style. They make these delicious bean and cheese burrito's. Heaven will definitely serve beans! Here is Matthias checking the place out.

After lunch we headed to the beach. Crazy I know but Utah has a beach. It's located up in the hills of Rose Creek in Herriman. The kids had a SUPER great time. It was fun to just sit outside and watch the kids run.

Wednesday night Clayton and Anthony slept over and Alex's house. It's amazing to me how often we've found boys that just click with ours. Alex and my two have such fun times together. I'm glad they were able to spend a few moments with each other.

Thursday was a day to just chat and take slow. Adi and I use to have all kinds of deep conversations. We'd analyze many aspects of different topics. It is so much fun just to think out loud and know you can say what you're thinking. That's why we are going to build a house together when our husbands die. We're going to sit on the front porch and sip lemonade and yell at all the obnoxious people while we figure out the meaning of life.

Thursday night we spent with Kjel's family. A trip to the park and the opportunity to see so many cousins we haven't seen in forever. It was very enjoyable and we stayed well past dark. The kids loved the time with their family and Kjel enjoyed seeing his sisters and brother. Not everyone was able to make it but many did and it was well worth the outing. As the evening came to a close we said our goodbyes and I got to have a nice conversation with Bob and Kjel's mom. I really do love these two. They are great people.

Friday morning we tortured Porter and Matthias and forced them into their matching shirts so we could take this lovely picture. I think it turned out well.

We also made the kids take pictures of Adi and I together.

We packed up our junk and headed up to spend some hours with my cousin Stacie. The kids love playing with their cousins and I love chatting with my cousin. It's a win win situation.  Here is Isaak with the hamster.
Here is Matthias racking up the balls so he can bet on a game of pool. Personally, I'd put my money on the other guy.

Friday night we were absolutely and completely exhausted. We settled back to sleep at Mom's place and Isaak begged me to take a picture of he and Matthias asleep by each other.

Saturday morning was Steel Days Parade Day. My favorite parade of all time!! I love sitting in my Aunt and Uncle's front yard catching candy and just having fun.

It's a family tradition that after the parade Grandma throws more candy. This tradition was started years ago by her mother. With Grandma not with us anymore Grandpa stepped into the role and pleased the crowd.

And as if I haven't had enough fun I got to meet BOY MOM!! She and I have enjoyed our online friendship and with my trip to Utah we wanted to get together. The parade turned out to be the venue of choice. How fun to finally meet this great woman. I think we have a future together!

After the parade we made a trip to see Grandpa Darrel. He is an incredible man. I enjoyed our conversations about the gospel and about life. I really should have spent more time with him.

Next it was a trip to my Grandpa Cecil's home. Each time I step in his home I'm always overwhelmed with sweet memories. Anthony packed his violin just so the two of them could play together. I was blessed to witness my two sons making music with my grandfather.  Grandpa used to play for dances. I still dream about him up on stage playing his trumpet while the crowd boogied. I'm thankful for the many opportunities I've had to listen to him play!

I clicked this picture in hopes of being able to increase its size and hang it on my wall. This is some stitching that my Grandma Nina did. She is very talented with needle and thread. This has been hanging in their home for sometime. I think I need a copy to hang in my home.

Grandma was also excellent and food storage and canning. Grandpa sent us home with some of her quart jars. Clayton made sure to load them into the van and lock them in safe.
Here is Isaak and Jeremy under one of my favorite trees. I intentionally buy Golden Delicious apples to remind me of this tree at Grandpa's house.

Saturday night we had pizza night with all the cousins. 
I again was lucky to have some cute helpers.
Anita and I supplied homemade pizza and the kids ran around and acted like crazies. It was super good times.

After everyone settled into bed I sneaked out of the house and Stacie and I went to get a shake and talk. Neither one of us could stand the thought of saying goodbye. To ease the moment we decided one last trip out was definitely in order.

Sunday we sluffed church. I still feel sick about it! Oh the guilt. See there was this family that we had not yet seen that my boys needed to spend some time with. So a trip to our good friends took the place of church.


Monday morning we packed up and with tears in my heart said goodbye to people that we love. My heart ached to have the opportunity to say hello to so many people we had not seen. It just seemed wrong to be SO close and yet not have had a moment to stop in and hug them. I'll be kicking myself in the pants for sleeping at night. I seriously could have had more time if I'd just not been such a wuss.

The drive home was long and hot and long. We don't have AC in the van so the best we can do in unroll window's. This works but not perfectly. The kids again traveled well. I did well until about the last four hours. I could tell I was getting some cabin fever and just needed out! I kept envisioning us just stopping along the road and deciding to set up our life in a new place. We had our tent and sleeping bags with us. I figured we'd set up home and Kjel could find a job and we'd just live happily ever after. I was done with the drive!


We did arrive home safe and I'm glad that Kjel pushed through my whining and got us to our destination. What a memorable trip. I'm glad that we were able to take the kids back to Utah. I miss Utah and it was wonderful to be there. Strangely, I realized that I LOVE Kenosha. It's great to be home.