I've got a serious problem. I am addicted to sugar. I'm not joking. Last Sunday I realized that I no longer just have a fond relationship with the stuff I'm dependent upon it. I searched the internet for answers and came up with this list. Let's see what it tells me.
1. If you don’t get your regular dose of sugar, are you irritable and cranky?
Last Sunday I was trying to not eat any candy. Around 3:00 I realized I couldn't hold off any longer. I was freaking out inside, the anxiety was out of control. I threw the pantry door open and grabbed a miniature candy bar purchased exclusively for Halloween. I quickly ripped into the goodness and immediately my body felt relief. I obviously needed a fix. I think the answer to number one is YES!
2. Have you ever tried to cut down or control your use of sweet foods?From the answer above and several other experiences like this I will say... YES!
3. Are you using more sweet foods than ever before?This could be a maybe. Well, Yes because SUGAR is everywhere, in every room of this house but no because when the kids and I finally devour it I won't purchase more... at least I don't think I will.
4. Have you ever lied about how much sweet food you eat?
Lied, about sugar? only if you count omitting information as a lie. It's not like anyone asks me how much sugar I've eaten. I do hide to eat it though. I would hate for anyone to be disgusted with me and my consumption of the stuff.
5. Have you ever gone out of your way to get something sweet?Only if I can do it without sharing. How selfish, I know but this plays on my other freakish habit with money and if I have to buy more than one it's too expensive and I will just wait until no one is around. I will make excuses to stop and get McDonald's ice cream cones with the kids when the stuff is on sale for .25 cents.
6. Have you ever gotten upset when someone ate your special food?
I am much better at hiding my treats. No one is going to eat my special food!
7. Have you ever felt that you had a sugar hangover?
Possibly, if a hangover includes hating myself because I know better and Iwish I hadn't eaten an entire batch of cookies and my body is antsy until I add just a little more sugar. I think this might have happened once or multiple times.
8. Have you ever binged on sweet or white flour foods?I think I answered this question above.
9. Is it impossible to “just say no” to sweet foods?I can say no if people are watching me but this only fuels the monster inside because as soon as I'm alone I will double my intake to make up for missed opportunities.
10. Is sugar controlling your life?
nah, i think form the information above I can come to a conclusive probably it might not be, well maybe just a little.
Would you be embarrassed if anyone else knew how you answered these questions?I would be seriously embarrassed. That's why I'm sharing this. I'm also hoping that if I quickly dump Sunday Smiles on top of this no one will read this.
Maybe, if I out myself I can get this latest cycle of sugar love under control. I haven't always been this bad. Although, I must say that throughout my life sugar has definitely been my drug of choice.
Is there hope? Can I really do this? Do I really want to do this?
I know the right answers to these questions and they don't match up with the answers I would give right now.
The first step is admitting there is a problem. DONE.
Now I have to want to fix it..... we'll see.